rust protection for gas tank

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by chaka, Jun 12, 2003.

1. chaka

chaka

I know there has to be a thread but I was unable to find it... but very quickly recommendations for protectiing exterior of my gas tank?

POR?
    zerorust?
    anything else?

Chaka
    1980 fj40

2. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

We have had a few different gas tanks lined with a Rhinoling or Line-X type material. Works great for aux tanks, BJ70 and FJ60 tanks. Worth the $80 they charge to sandblast, prep and coat it.

3. petescoffee

petescoffee

AFter I had mine cleaned, I coated the outside with Chassis Saver. This is a one coat process unlike POR. Do a search and you will find more info on the product. It gives a nice hard finish. I will be doing my chasis later this summer.

4. wayne_fj40

wayne_fj40

I found out the hard way don't even screw around with the old steel tank.get a poly tank or a fuel cell save time in the future that is if its for a 40 :G

5. gkhal1

gkhal1

:G
    Protected my long range replacement tank for my fj62 using POR and topcoat. Very pleased so far.

6. Gus

Gus SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I used POR-15, so far so good, If I had the cash at the time I would have had my tank powdercoated. I think any of those heavy duty coating/paints (zero-rust, rhinoliner, powdercoating, etc.) would work well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.