rust proofing / shackles

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by hammer1, Nov 8, 2005.

  1. hammer1

    hammer1

    Messages:
    791
    Likes Received:
    2
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2005
    Location:
    morristown nj
    well...
    this past weekend, as i was installing my 1-1/2" shackle lift, i had the rear up on jacks, and the old shackles cut off, and in the scrap pile. After inserting the new bushings, i greases 'em up, and went to install the bolt.
    long story short, shackle...1/2" hole....bolt....5/8 diam.
    seeing i had no 5/8 hhs bit, and no way to get one, i sat back and thought. After i cooled down a bit, and a call to SOR to complain, i decided to use the time i had to finally scrape the rust off wherever i could under the truck. except for the crossbar that the spare is ( was) mounted to, it is in amazingly good condition.
    scraped and pried, and coated the whole thing with thinned POR-15, applied with an insecticid sprayer. after a couple of hours, a second coat.
    then the local machine shop delivered the 1/2" x 5/8" reamer, and two hours later I'M up and going.
    the next day, i coated the whole shebang with sprayed on rustoleum protective enamal.
    Thanks to the unseasonable weather for Nov. ( 70 degrees both days )I got all i wanted to get done, done on the cruiser for the up coming winter.
    the rest is in the cruiser-god's hands.
    now for the Iron Pig bumper....

    hammer
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.