Rust on Cross Members (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so on my sons 98 470’project things are looking great. It’s a Va rig so there’s not a lot of corrosion but there are 2 areas I don’t like the looks of

The frame support that comes under the Tran Case is pretty corroded at one end, looks like 4 bolts and I could replace the entire piece in 10 minutes. Get one off of a wrecked rust free LC..?

the frame support that is welded in at the rear of the rig is also pretty bad on one end. This ones welded in and I’m thinking a good welder could cut this section out, probably 4 inches in length and put a new piece in.

Am I off base here? What am I not thinking of?
Thanks all.

if the trans crossmember is as bad as you are saying it could be a full day job if the bolts break when removing them.

I will take pics in the AM and post....thanks for the replies so far.

Ok, so on my sons 98 470’project things are looking great. It’s a Va rig so there’s not a lot of corrosion but there are 2 areas I don’t like the looks of

The frame support that comes under the Tran Case is pretty corroded at one end, looks like 4 bolts and I could replace the entire piece in 10 minutes. Get one off of a wrecked rust free LC..?

the frame support that is welded in at the rear of the rig is also pretty bad on one end. This ones welded in and I’m thinking a good welder could cut this section out, probably 4 inches in length and put a new piece in.

Am I off base here? What am I not thinking of?
Thanks all.
Yes to both.

If you find a rust free crossmember somewhere between AZ and VA in the next few days let me know and I’ll bring it to you to save on shipping costs. We’re driving to SWVA, leaving from AZ this Friday or Saturday.

Yes to both.

If you find a rust free crossmember somewhere between AZ and VA in the next few days let me know and I’ll bring it to you to save on shipping costs. We’re driving to SWVA, leaving from AZ this Friday or Saturday.
Wow, that’s most kind of you!! Truly appreciated.

I grew up in SW Va, where are you heading? Smith Mtn Lake?

i cant see anything...
The first one is the rear drivers side, the 2nd pic is cross member at the transfer case on the passenger side.

4A5E0B75-6A1C-4A50-A242-E08698A35677.jpeg

D7575C40-5B25-4563-ACEA-6FC438ABB2BE.jpeg

Wow, that’s most kind of you!! Truly appreciated.

I grew up in SW Va, where are you heading? Smith Mtn Lake?
Heading to Big Stone Gap (where I grew up) to visit family, but also will be meeting up with my brother, who lives in Roanoke. Could pass it off to him and you guys could meet up between Richmond and Roanoke. Just a thought. Let me know if you find a crossmember somewhere along I-40 this week and if you want me to pick it up and bring it.

Heading to Big Stone Gap (where I grew up) to visit family, but also will be meeting up with my brother, who lives in Roanoke. Could pass it off to him and you guys could meet up between Richmond and Roanoke. Just a thought. Let me know if you find a crossmember somewhere along I-40 this week and if you want me to pick it up and bring it.
I lived in ROANOKE for many years until I moved to Richmond 10 years ago.

I sell medical equipment and go to Abingdon and Norton every so often.

Small world.

Thanks again for your willingness to help.

That rust looks really bad. I wonder why it’s concentrated to just those two areas. That look worse than some stuff we see on a salt belt driven 100 out here.

Yeah it’s very strange as everything else looks pretty good. THe cross member at the transfer case looks like an easy fix, but the one in the rear....can a good welder remove that section and weld in a new piece of steel without ruining the integrity of the steel around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom