Rust on _J6_ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.norwescan.com
I have seen rust on the usual places on the Rockers, Door Sills, Fenders, I have a mint 60 series body with no rust in the usual places but weirdly on the Roof Gutters. Doing a resto job and welding in new metal, as I need structure for the Roof Platform. Does anybody else have issues with your Roof Gutter?

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-07 at 09.26.07.jpeg

Gutter rust is common. Some threads about repairs are here. Between the caulking drying up and the two shells trapping moisture, it’s a reality we have to deal with.

Gutter rust is common. Some threads about repairs are here. Between the caulking drying up and the two shells trapping moisture, it’s a reality we have to deal with.
Any good ways to attempt to prevent it?

I have seen rust on the usual places on the Rockers, Door Sills, Fenders, I have a mint 60 series body with no rust in the usual places but weirdly on the Roof Gutters. Doing a resto job and welding in new metal, as I need structure for the Roof Platform. Does anybody else have issues with your Roof Gutter?

I've had this all along my left side (driver's side), these have been replaced with newly fabricated gutters instead of the Toyota ones.
Those were thin and flimsy and decided not to use them, the new ones have been 'folded' by a machine.
They took a piece of the old gutter, put it inside a scanner and the machine created new gutters from that.
I wasn't that expensive (in the total scheme as my whole roof has been made rust free, resprayed etc.) and they are rock solid.
It's very common for 60-series to have rust there, but during the repair they also used tectyl (is it the same name in the US ?) which works great for rust prevention.

Any good ways to attempt to prevent it?

Best way to prevent it is to reseal the gutters before the rust begins. The original factory sealing gets cooked by the sun and elements and eventually starts to fracture and allow water to penetrate the seem in the gutter. If left unchecked this leads to rusty gutters. There are a couple of mud threads about people who stripped the old material out and resealed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom