Rust on '03 Cruiser - Deal breaker? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking at purchasing an '03 Land Cruiser with about 140k miles on it. My main concern is the level of rust on the under carriage. Is this amount of rust a deal breaker or not going to be worth the headache of having it cleaned up? How expensive of a bill do you think it would be to clean up/replace what's rusted out?

Thanks,

CC

IMG_0226.jpeg

IMG_0227.jpeg

IMG_0228.jpeg

IMG_0229.jpeg

IMG_0230.jpeg

Worst of it is on the pumpkin and from the looks of the flaking it was sprayed over before. Also noted is the corroding finish on the spare.

Not a deal breaker but a potential bargaining chip.

I’d be more concerned about what fluid leak caused the front skid plate to look like that. Hopefully just a messy do it yourself oil change and not a coolant or valve cover leak, etc

Good luck

One more thing. I have an 03 and one of the unique features is that the transmission has a dip stick - be sure to give that a look as well.

Cheers

The gas tank skid has been replaced. Good to have a new one & bad, is it indicates was very rusty.
The muffler looks to have been replaced and likely not OEM. Dampener and bolt missing.

I'd look closely at under body and rear hatch. Bet it has rust in the body seams & hatch undersides.

Once the under side power washed. You will see more rust.

To much rust for me. But I'm in Colorado. For a rust belt rig, some may say it's okay.

Last edited:
I am new to the forum, but tend to be in the anti rust crowd, but count me among the majority here. Rust on the flat surfaces and parts can be ground and treated… what I always look at is the hardware. Are the nuts and bolts rusted together or rusted so getting a good socket on will only yield rounded corners? And looking at lots of these bits of hardware they look okay.

i Would plan on buying an angle grinder and some rust treatmeant, in your future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom