Rust inside Axle housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
theshealys.com
I've talked about this before. No one ever said that they had this problem before. Has anyone had this problem? Oh yeah this is my rear axle. I didn't fix it that great the first time because I had to get that used 3rd member in there to test it out for the 90 day warranty. Now I have it back apart and off the truck. I'm going to try wire brushs and Ospho. Here is the pictures:

DSC02125.jpg

DSC02116.jpg

DSC02124.jpg

I'll post more of the progress.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Condensation from temperature changes can cause this. It is not something that I would be too worried about.

Clean out what you can, and run it. But make sure you do not get any of that crap into your wheel bearings, as it will raise hell with them.

Good luck!

-Steve

Mine was like that. I bought a cheap drain snake, the kind that go on a drill and welded a wire wheel on the end. The wire wheel was a little smaller than the diameter of the tube. I hooked it up to my drill and ran it down the axle tubes. This cleaned up all loose, flaky rust.

cruiser ken said:
Mine was like that. I bought a cheap drain snake, the kind that go on a drill and welded a wire wheel on the end. The wire wheel was a little smaller than the diameter of the tube. I hooked it up to my drill and ran it down the axle tubes. This cleaned up all loose, flaky rust.

Sounds like a good idea.

breather is good just replaced it with a 1/4" hose adapter that runs up to my cab to a toyota breather that fits 1/4" hose.

i'm cleaning up the outside too. I'm going to paint the outside too. I would love to put on rear disk at the same time POSER. What is involved to the disk brake conversion? Pictures?

If you have it off, run it by your local powder coater (if you have one) and get it powder coated. They will undoubtedly bead blast it first. Just make sure that you wash it down before you install it to get all the blast media out of it.

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom