Rust converters? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Scott68FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.myblueheaven.com
It has been a number of years since I have had to do much when it comes to treating rust and am curious if there are any new products out there that I should know about, that the trusted folks here have experience with. A little back story as to what I am needing it for.

I have a 2011 TRD Sport Tacoma that I bought new in Arizona when we still lived there. When I bought it I had slider welded onto the frame. When I got them I had 3 choices, bare steel that I could paint, power coat or some sort of elastermeric (no idea how to spell) coating that the guy who fabricated the sliders raved about. I ended up going with that, and hind sight being what it is I should have gone with the power coat. While living in the dry Arizona desert I never had any issues at all, and the sliders saved the side of my truck more than once. Fast forward a number of years and now that i live in the rainy and wet PNW, moisture has gotten between the steel and the coating. The coating has failed in many places and where it has failed the steel has rusted. A couple times a year I sand it as best I can and paint it with something like Zero Rust. I can't remove the sliders to have them blasted and coated again. I am now looking for a good converter / primer and then top coat with something like POR-15, but would love to hear any recommendations that you might have.

I am now looking for a good converter / primer and then top coat with something like POR-15

POR-15 is excellent but I'm pretty sure it should be applied directly to the base metal. I don't think it works as well if it's applied over primer or another paint. I used it on my 40 and then top-coated over top of it in an effort to seal up the floor of my tub - There are a number of procedures that you need to follow before using it to get good results. Still looks great after a number of years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom