Rust Converter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a quick beer with Kim the other day and we were talking about rust, an unusual subject with land cruisers. I thought I pass this along to others who are knee deep in a project or just doing spot rust repairs. I've been using this PICKLEX 20 for about a year now and have been super impressed with it. It works very well with ZERO RUST paint which in my opinion is head and shoulders above POR15 and half the price. It's great for prepping sheet metal but I've also noticed your welds flow much nicer after the steel has been treated with it. Here is the link and good luck with the rust battle.

Picklex20 Manufacturer Home Page Metal surface preparation, steel pre-treatment.

Hey John,

The Picklex you have to order but the rest I buy from White and Peters in Langley.

Thanks for the info. How much difference in performance is there with Zero Rust and POR15? I want to undercoat my truck this summer, and get rid of the rust forming around the rear windows.

:cheers:

I wouldn't touch POR15 after using zero rust. Way less picky about surface preparation and the adhesion of zero rust is head and shoulders above POR15. Not to mention its half price. I've never had great luck with POR15 adhering no matter how clean the surface was. Sand and Picklex any surface rust you have and zero rust it after ...... done deal.

I wouldn't touch POR15 after using zero rust. Way less picky about surface preparation and the adhesion of zero rust is head and shoulders above POR15. Not to mention its half price. I've never had great luck with POR15 adhering no matter how clean the surface was. Sand and Picklex any surface rust you have and zero rust it after ...... done deal.

Do you sand down to bare metal? Or does some rust need to be ther for it to work.

I have used the rust check converter with mixed restls before, but I genreraly just wire wheeled then sprayed it on.

I have used zero rust before too an liked it , it even sealed up pinholes in the rust pitting it was so thick :hillbilly:

I scuff it as best as I can with 80 grit and try to get rid of as much as I can.

John, I'm all out and am ordering more we could split a mid sized jug if you like.

Dave

Sounds like good stuff! I'd be interested in having some as well, if a larger quantity makes it cheaper all round. Where do you order your zero rust?

gb

I've used a small can of Zero Rust as well for painting my winch bumper. I had mixed results, but it was probably my fault for using a can that had been on the shelf a little too long (~5yrs), and then trying to thin it too much before application. I do intend to use it again for parts under the truck. Spec sheets:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/coolfj40_2149_193171954
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/coolfj40_2149_193533434

Never tried the Picklex, maybe I will when I tend to a few spots under the 40.

Also been experimenting with rust removal using electrolysis and also muriatic acid, but only for parts that are removed from the vehicle.

I get the zero rust at either place. Its about the same price. I can order the big Picklex 20 and we can split it if you two like.

How well does it stick to painted surfaces, since I have spots of rust happening on the underbody, and I would like to use it as a sealer before undercoating it. Or is it overkill?

Just lightly scuff it off the paint after and you should be fine. I've had good results with that. No such thing as over kill when it comes to rust, especially with 80's Toyotas, so I've learned.

I can order the big Picklex 20 and we can split it if you two like.

I thought maybe they had a bigger container, and it might be cheaper the bigger the amount. I don't need it right away, so if you have use for a 1/2 gallon John, and it's only coming in a gallon...fill ur boots. I can get some when I have a project upcoming. No worries.

gb

Greg and John,

I ordered a gallon today so we should have it within a week or so.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom