runs rough, white smoke after head rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
after re doing the head on my H (3.6l) diesel, i have rough idle, and it blows white smoke.

help please

isn't white water?

according to websites on diesels, white smoke can be unburnt fuel in an engine that is operating under the normal operating temp.

and i haven't lost any water

how long was it blowing smoke for after you started it up? and how long did you have it running for? And what ended up being wrong with the head? was there a crack and did you take it to a mech? Or was it ok and the overflow bottle problem was to do with something else?

Possibly a minute air leak in the fuel sytem.The air leaking in can cause condensation in the exhaust smoke making it appear white.The rough running is also another sign of a leak.Its also possible you havent got all the air out of the system when you bled it after fitting the head

it blows smoke all the time

head problems were as follows. warped head, cracked head gasket and welsh plugs were shot. one or all these things caused the overflow problem,

i thought that perhaps it could be oil from the rebuild. but it doesn't look like oil smoke, and it hasn't gone away yet. ran for about an hour last night and still smoking.

smokes a lot worse under load or full throttle.

possibly could need a better bleed out, i didn't know about bleeding injector lines till late last night.

ahhhhhhh

started bleeding the injectors, heaps of air in there, and then poof, engine died, won't start again. no fuel getting through either fuel filter with the fuel pump (although the primer is pumping it to the injector pump. there is fuel being pumped to the fuel filters however

ok bled the whole thing, even hilifted the back to get the tank higher than everything else. the back two injectors are getting fuel. the front 4 are not :doh:

found why it was getting air in the system. one of the washers on the top of the injector rail slipped out during install. now it runs rough, but we got a suggestion to adjust valve clearances

Didn't you do a rough adjustment on the valves when you put the head back on? The plan is rough adjust, warm up and readjust the valves. It's always been fairly close when I've done it.

obviously it was a very rough valve job for some reason (don't think dad tightened the lock nuts down properly :doh: ).

but found where the air was getting into the lines, it was a missing washer on the injector rail. once we bled that and did the valves, it purred like a kitten. more torque than before we had the head off, no flat spots, and little smoke, (and the smoke which exists could be due to the recently cleaned valves aparently.)

so all in all a success. and it even fixed the problem with the overflow bottle. that was either a warped head, a head gasket, or welsh plugs, as all 3 were done at once

s*** the H runs again :eek: watch out if your down under

if the welsh plugs come out they have to be replaced with new ones anyway, so there is no getting out of that. are you a member of any clubs in oz? like tlcc au? I think this year is the year for me to join one and am starting to look.

sam

Dad and I are going to join the Toyota Landcruiser Club of Victoria soon.
Also looking at joining the Melbourne Jeep Owners Club. - Serious as they have a Club Property, As does TLCV. :cheers:

got a T-shirt from my cuz in OZ.....

"there are only 2 states in Australia..... WA, and pissed!"

Thought that was funny and served no purpose in helping you guys so I posted it!!! :D

She lives above Perth and tells me her friends are in to *utes* but can't tell me if they are Toyotas or not.... "They're all gas guzzlers and killing the enviroment" as far as she is concerned....

So when I come visit soon, I'll have to *secretly* come visit all you guys! Can't have the fam upset at my recreational activities :D

I'll need to go out and get milk.... or something...... They'll never know ::)

i think by UTES she means kingswoods and stuff. pickups based on australian family cars, which these people destroy by attaching mac truck bullbars and mudflaps to and have like 300 spotlights, and 400 cb antenna's.

replaced the welsh plugs with new. and no i'm not a member of any clubs. but i'll probably join one soon, as my wheeling buddies are taking up moto X and i'm stuck (literally sometimes) without wheeling buddies

i think by UTES she means kingswoods and stuff. pickups based on australian family cars, which these people destroy by attaching mac truck bullbars and mudflaps to and have like 300 spotlights, and 400 cb antenna's.

replaced the welsh plugs with new. and no i'm not a member of any clubs. but i'll probably join one soon, as my wheeling buddies are taking up moto X and i'm stuck (literally sometimes) without wheeling buddies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom