Running Wires to the Roof of a LC100 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How exactly do I run a XM antenna wire to the roof? Right now, the antenna comes through the firewall under the hood and then up on top of the plastic thingy at the base of the windshield (with an open view to the sky).

I have never been a fan of run the cables to the sunroom and then out because I have a fear of leaking. I don't want to take the windscreen or its seal out for the same fearful reason. Is there some piece of plastic that is OUTSIDE the water barrier of the truck that can be pulled up and the wire hidden underneath?

Easiest thing for me to do is take it from under the hood and run it up to the roof from there rather than back inside the LC and then find a peep hole.

Thoughts on the best way for this, or other stuff like lights?

Thanks

Mine sits on the rear just in front of the lift hatch. Runs down the rear door seal, then tucked between the wheel well and carpeting. I just leave it under the second row carpet before it goes up into front console. No issues after a year or so. I don't notice the wire at all.

Mine sits on the rear just in front of the lift hatch. Runs down the rear door seal, then tucked between the wheel well and carpeting. I just leave it under the second row carpet before it goes up into front console. No issues after a year or so. I don't notice the wire at all.

How long is that cable!??

You ran it under the 2nd row carpet along the passenger side to the glove box area, or did you run it to the center of the vehicle under the armrest between the front seats, then into the Nav section of the truck?

Do you happen to have a pic of the placement and wire in the rear?

thanks

For my roof rack mounted rear lights I ran wire from a dash mounted switch, powered by the aux battery, to the rear of the rig inside along the door sills. From there I exited through the bottom of the rear PS fender, sealed it up good where it passes through, and then up alongside the upper hatch strut area. Fits perfectly and I didn't have to drill another hole in the roof ;)

For my roof rack mounted rear lights I ran wire from a dash mounted switch, powered by the aux battery, to the rear of the rig inside along the door sills. From there I exited through the bottom of the rear PS fender, sealed it up good where it passes through, and then up alongside the upper hatch strut area. Fits perfectly and I didn't have to drill another hole in the roof ;)

Where did you exit the wire in teh fender? Did you drill through it?

Where did you exit the wire in teh fender? Did you drill through it?

Its been a while and the truck is on a lift about 15-miles away from me right now ;)...but IIRC I just poked it through a hole I drilled a through the plastic body plug...and then sealed it up with silicone and eventually Line-X :)

You could, if you have an aux fuse panel in the engine, just wrap the wire(s) and run it along or inside the frame too.

Here you go. Pretty ghetto, but it's been working. I am using a replacement antenna, it's about 15 ft. I went under the back of the center console and snaked it up to the secret pocket thingy in front of the ash tray. i had planned on doing something a little more "elegant", but i don't even notice the wire is there with this set up.
photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg

Well Crap. Those started out straight. I'm sure you get the idea.

Pork Soda said:
Well Crap. Those started out straight. I'm sure you get the idea.

Yep. I get it. Thanks for the help!

Thanks. I responded in that post

The cable is currently routed through the front firewall. I am going to take the antenna and put it on the flat part of the hood and see what happens. That can't be much different than the roof since the hood is nearly has high as the roof on a standard car. If that works, I will try running it up to the actual roof.

Is there a way to run the cable up the front of the truck? From where it is now, that would be much easier than ripping apart my carpet or headliner.

My '06 was equipped with XM Sirius from factory, the antenna was in the center just outside of the rear hatch on the roof similar to Pork Soda. The wiring went into the headliner at the point. The rear wind deflector on the '06 is not metal.

My '06 was equipped with XM Sirius from factory, the antenna was in the center just outside of the rear hatch on the roof similar to Pork Soda. The wiring went into the headliner at the point. The rear wind deflector on the '06 is not metal.

I just hate pulling up carpet or headliners for this ^(&(@#@ thing.

I just hate pulling up carpet or headliners for this ^(&(@#@ thing.

it's actually not that bad of a job in the cruiser (carpet at least). like everything else on them, it's well designed. just get a good body panel fork if you need to pop some plastic loose so you don't break anything. plus it gives you a chance to do a superclean underneath. you'd be surprised what you find from the previous owners....

it's actually not that bad of a job in the cruiser (carpet at least). like everything else on them, it's well designed. just get a good body panel fork if you need to pop some plastic loose so you don't break anything. plus it gives you a chance to do a superclean underneath. you'd be surprised what you find from the previous owners....

Do I have to pull the seats up?

there wasn't much from the previous owner in the trunk under the carpet so I don't invision much under the rest of it either.

I did put the antenna on the hood today with little benefit from it being on metal surface. I am going to have to test it on the roof before I spend time and money running the wire. this thing is very very frustrating and XM customer surface is less useful than my dog in trying to figure this out.

Do I have to pull the seats up?

there wasn't much from the previous owner in the trunk under the carpet so I don't invision much under the rest of it either.

I did put the antenna on the hood today with little benefit from it being on metal surface. I am going to have to test it on the roof before I spend time and money running the wire. this thing is very very frustrating and XM customer surface is less useful than my dog in trying to figure this out.

depends... not if you run it down the sill (recommend as it's not subject to wear from it moving around under people's feet on the carpet). however, the seats aren't bad to remove at all (front, middle, or, of course, third row). the rear carpet just tucks into a little valley in the side panel plastic - super easy to pull out and tuck back. you will have to pull two of the seat latch covers with a single torx screw in each. the cargo gap flap cover is a little more work, but maybe 3 minutes.

I have my Sirius/XM antanae mounted on hood, near the edge, between the windshield squirter nozzles...and it works just fine. I was worried about how it would look, but it's not an issue at all.

I have my Sirius/XM antanae mounted on hood, near the edge, between the windshield squirter nozzles...and it works just fine. I was worried about how it would look, but it's not an issue at all.

This is exactly where I have mine now and it still has a crappy signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom