Running Wires thru the rear hatch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like the pin I broke also, it didn't look like it was reuse able. If it's the one I'm thinking of it held the end of the lower inside panel that was under the tail gate bridge. Mine went back together without it.

FYi use to run off shore near your area .. we never called it San Clemente .. always called it Dolly Parton

Well good to know that pin has been a pain for several people.

I've lived my entire life in San Clemente, just had to google what the hell Dolly Parton had to do with it...ha!

Well good to know that pin has been a pain for several people.

I've lived my entire life in San Clemente, just had to google what the hell Dolly Parton had to do with it...ha!
I worked at songs for a few months. The San onofre nuclear generation station

Currently setting up solar on the roof and was planning on running the wires thru the rear hatch. I have been running the cable for my magnetic antenna like this for some time and haven't noticed any water intrusion or other adverse affects. However these cables are larger and there is two of them. I've seen people mention this method over the last year but my search came up dry looking for examples or other methods. Any comments or suggestions welcome, just wanted to ask those who have gone this routes for some feedback before putting the side panels back on.

Hi, Which polar panel did you go with, and what are you using for a solar controller?

Ran my rear antenna cable thru this "mythical" grommet on the lower rear passenger side. In hindsight, this was way too easy compared to all of the other options. Not sure how hard it is to get access on an unmodified bumper, but with my rear bumper modified it was a 2 minute ordeal to gain access. Will definitely be using this access if I add more electrical accessories externally.

IMG_1726.jpg

I'll have to do a write up, as several people have asked. But its just a renogy panel off of amazon and a mppt controller that came with a remote display.

Thanks !

I'm also interested in how your attached the panel to your roof rack.

Thanks !

I'm also interested in how your attached the panel to your roof rack.

Went back and changed out tte brackets. 2" angle iron mounted straight to the rack. Probably only super relevant to fellow dissent rack owners, as the fit was very nice, only needed about 1/4" spacers to get it to fit.

IMG_5247.jpg

Ran my rear antenna cable thru this "mythical" grommet on the lower rear passenger side. In hindsight, this was way too easy compared to all of the other options. Not sure how hard it is to get access on an unmodified bumper, but with my rear bumper modified it was a 2 minute ordeal to gain access. Will definitely be using this access if I add more electrical accessories externally.

View attachment 2272246
Bingo!!

It won't help the antennas, but after much consideration I'm going to add another bluetooth relay to my roof rack (I have one underhood at the moment) and use it for switching. This allows running power/ground up to roof once using 12 awg (via the windshield channel), and then switching at the roof. Another option would be regular or mini relays on the roof and using a small gauge switching wire (such as an ethernet cable, could get 8 switches out of that) and the 12 awg. I'm just doing lights and they are great application for BT switching - it is obvious when they are on, and if you have to re pair BT or reboot or something (which happens every three months or so), 15 seconds of doing that won't be mission critical.
The BT relay sounds like a good idea. However, I’m not liking what I’ve been seeing with the windshield channel route for the power/ground wires. What about running them under the (protected in some loom and tucked up safe) and up a.long the rear hatch to the roof?

Regarding the windshield route, perhaps I just haven’t seen a great example of it done “right” and the wire is not obvious.

Lastly, do you think 12AWG is big enough to power an LED light bar up front as well as side and rear LEDs eventually?

Regarding the windshield route, perhaps I just haven’t seen a great example of it done “right” and the wire is not obvious.

I don’t have a great close up “after” shot, but I think it looks pretty clean. I removed the windshield side trim and then ran the wire tucking it under the white clips, and then reattached the trim as before. In my case I had to use a blade and clean some adhesive where the windshield had been replaced prior and they did a sloppy job. That was the hardest part.

DA131E45-11A3-427A-AB26-772209C45E00.jpeg

A533411A-4787-4F77-81DA-E7D08F824E91.jpeg

The BT relay sounds like a good idea. However, I’m not liking what I’ve been seeing with the windshield channel route for the power/ground wires. What about running them under the (protected in some loom and tucked up safe) and up a.long the rear hatch to the roof?

Lastly, do you think 12AWG is big enough to power an LED light bar up front as well as side and rear LEDs eventually?
I ran my wires under the trim channel like @TN LX570 and you would have no visible indication that there are wires there.

This is prior to reinstalling the black trim that completely covers the wires:

7607581F-D328-47FC-B685-5CD72AE43D60.jpeg

Last edited:
It was for me (one LED light bar), and it was the largest gauge I could get two of into a single channel, so win win. An enterprising person with more time and skill could run single larger gauges up one on either side. A thin jacket 10 for sure, maybe more.

agree with other posts, the wire is completely hidden adjacent to the windshield when done this way. A few others have put it in the channel on top of the glass, next to the trim. That's fine too, but you can then see the wire bundle.

View attachment 2272246

@bemerritt where does this grommet tlead to? Can you access it from the inside?
I need to feed 2 cables to the outside for my Codan HF antenna and this seems the best option.

@bemerritt where does this grommet tlead to? Can you access it from the inside?
I need to feed 2 cables to the outside for my Codan HF antenna and this seems the best option.

I believe a previous post said it leads into where the rear jack is stored. I’ll probably use this grommet for a solar panel soon, glad to see there’s a good option in the back.

Cheers, I realise this is for the 200 series, however it might be the same for the 100 and LX470.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom