running the wire harness - need help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geocities.com
Hello,

I'm just wondering if there are any tricks, or specific methods for running the wire harness...

I have a 1970 FJ40 - the dash is completely ripped appart, all the pedals are removed as well, I read on here that I should install the harness first...

Well, i've just never installed a wiring harness, so i need some help? Anyone got any pointers?

I haven't heard of any tricks. the only thing I did was mark every single connector with tape as I dissassembled it. Start with the harness under the dash it stays in place on my 78 with metal tabs. The harness exits the firewall in two spots. one on the driver side and one on the pass side. That thing would be a 4 pound gaggle of sh*t hanging in my garage if I didn't mark it all.

IT's a new "EZ" wireharness...
And i Have no idea where i'm going to locate the fuse block...It has the new type of fuses though, i think it was like a 24 circut harness or something, and the cruiser is only like 12? I think...

I located the fuseblock in the stock location, left of the driver's left foot in that corner by the kick vent door. Fabbed a mounting bracket out of two angled construction metal thingies, and used the bolts that connect the two right angles as ground for all the different switches and lights. That way, the length of wires in the kit comes out the right length on either side.

DSRTRDR said:
Fabbed a mounting bracket out of two angled construction metal thingies...

That has to be the quote of the year.;)

Good point about the wire lengths. I'm about to do this and wondering whether or not to relocate the panel to the glove box.

How's the EZ harness with excess wire? Considering it's a universal, you would think it's got alot of extra.

o.k. to be more precise, I went to the roofing section of the hardware store, they got all kinds of angled precut things that I sawed off from what I needed. Basically, I fabricated 2 L-shaped strips, one to cover the length of distance between the two stock bolt holes that hold the stock fusebox, the second to bolt (metal screws) to the first angle, making like a step into the space towards the body apron. To this second angle, I bolted the baseplate for the fusebox provided with my wiring kit. I am attaching a drawing. I routed all the wires behind the stock flasher relay (which keeps the wires in place, but is a pain on your hands to get to) and then either out the driver side or towards the instrument cluster and under the dash, pretty much following the stock harness location.

There was also an earlier thread on re-wiring, may be a search would help.
Fusebox mount.jpg

Looks much better than the imagery gathered from "two angled construction metal thingies" - but hey, I’m first to admit my technical vocabulary is much worse!

Looks good man!
Thanks for the posts.
Cheers!

I have read the wireharness comes enters and exits the firewall twice, I was wondering if anyone knew specifically where it enters and exits...

1) from under dash through firewall to engine compartment on driver side
2) from under dash through firewall to engine compartment on passenger side
actually, there is a third pass through the firewall about in the middle for the sensor wires: temperature, oil pressure and something I cannot recall right now.

Awesome, thanks for your help everyone!
I wonder, does anyone have any pictures of their mind warping wires under their dash?

That would be wickid!
(only if you have em - don't bother taking more!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom