Running rough at start up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had some overheating issues about a month ago. I replaced the water pump, thermostat, and coolant. All Toyota parts including the coolant. Since then I did have one instance where the temp gauge creeped above normal, but it came back down immediately. I hadn’t considered the head gasket, I don’t see any leaks. Obviously it could still be going bad, just don’t see any oil in the driveway. Would a head gasket that isn’t leaking cause a cylinder to miss?

Unfortunately yes. You can verify it with a combustion chamber leak down test. If you're not able to do that you could at least check compression. Usual suspect is between 5 and 6. But also can fail other places.

I just read through some of the HG threads, there are plenty. Anyone know of a good Landcruiser guy in the Cleveland area?

Just to update -
I ran a combustion leak test and it came
back positive for a blown HG. The dealer is going to do a compression check and verify. If it needs it they gave me a pretty decent price on the work. I honestly would like to do the job myself, just don’t have time and I need the car back on the road. It’s my DD.

Just to update - The head gasket was shot, but no damage to the head itself. The dealer called me today and said it will be ready tomorrow. $1800, which I didn’t think was terrible. Replaced some hoses and the coolant temp sensor while it was apart. I’m hoping at this point she runs for another 200k…also replaced all vacuum lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom