Running rough after long term storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 62 had been in long term storage. Added some isopropyl alcohol to absorb any moisture in the gas but running very rough. No power under load like missing cylinders when water gets into the distributor or wires. Also, all air and vacuum hoses appear tight. Maybe just bad gas? Any other ideas or similar experiences out there??

Using up the same old gas, had put in that stuff that is supposed to keep the gas from going bad but don't know how long it is good for. Should I drain the old gas out?

I also vote to drain the tank foremost, then replace the filter if it continues to stumble. Sta-bil is likely the product you used, and it works, but it's no guarantee. I use Marvel Mystery Oil for the same purpose.

I'll find out about if I have this problem next week! If I have it, I'll drain the tank, put new fuel, filter and in the meantime :beer:I call Toyota for the fuel tank recall. The truck I'm getting has not gone through the recall.;)

Just an update; I tried to siphon the old gas out of the tank, but couldn't get the tube down far enough into the tank, and when I tried to pull it out it was stuck, took a lot of tugging and twisting and it finally came out, with a little bit of rust on it! Is there some sort of flapper valve where the fill pipe meets the tank like to prevent spillage in an accident or rollover? Only reason I could think of why the tube would not come back out easily.

If you pulled rust out. Drain the tank out the bottom ,pull tank,replace filter on pump,clean out lines to front of cruiser,replace fuel filter,add new gas. Mike Just did this on a cruiser that sat for years.

When you say pull tank, do you mean remove the straps and take it down off the vehicle? How do you clean the lines, compressed air? What else needs to be disconnected when that is done, and how?

Yes remove the tank,flush the lines with new gas or unhook them and blow them out.Filter on pump is in tank and is probably shot. Took me with son-in -law about 3 hours. Work outside where it is well ventilated.

Don't bother siphoning, there should be a drain on the tank. Drop the spare tire and find it, if it's not readily apparent. Once empty, the tank is very manageable, even by yourself. Know that the tank straps may be so rusted as to need replacing. Make sure to disconnect the various hoses first ( filler hose, vents and the like)

I'll 2nd finding out if the tank has been replaced under recall or not. Do a Mud search and you'll find the phone # and details you need to know. As an incentive, realize that if the tank has not been replaced under recall, then Toyota will do it for you. I'd double check that they blow out the lines and install a clean pump/filter, but the hardest parts will be done for ya.

Don't bother siphoning, there should be a drain on the tank. Drop the spare tire and find it, if it's not readily apparent. Once empty, the tank is very manageable, even by yourself. Know that the tank straps may be so rusted as to need replacing. Make sure to disconnect the various hoses first ( filler hose, vents and the like)

I'll 2nd finding out if the tank has been replaced under recall or not. Do a Mud search and you'll find the phone # and details you need to know. As an incentive, realize that if the tank has not been replaced under recall, then Toyota will do it for you. I'd double check that they blow out the lines and install a clean pump/filter, but the hardest parts will be done for ya.

X2 on the recall. If not done yet, let Toyota do the work for you FREE!!:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom