running out of gas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I was driving up the hill to school yesterday, and all the sudden, after running pretty flawlessly, my engine started acting like it was running out of gas(which it definitely shouldn't have been) by a miracle I made it home. I pulled the fuel filter off, and gas started pouring out of the line, way more than usual, as if there was a bunch of pressure built up in my tank. Any ideas? it can't even make it up my driveway now

Too much gas?

Your problem may be too much gas. Check to make sure that your carb is not flooding. If there is gas coming out around the base of the carb it would be a sign that is what is happening.

You're being stingy with clues: 60 or 62, stock or desmogged, new/old fuel filter, etc.?

Both models have positive gas tank ventilation through the charcoal canister in the engine compartment. The 60 has a servo valve that recycles it to the air cleaner IIRC. Dunno about a 62 but it has to be similar (EPA regs).

When you say you can't make it up your driveway, what do you mean: engine idles but won't accelerate? We need more clues.

I believe he has an '87 FJ60. Start simple and cheap, replace the fuel filter, check the air filter, make sure a mouse hasn't taken up residence in you air intake during the recent cold spell.

On another note, I see you are also in Asheville! Check out Upstate Cruisers in the clubhouse section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom