Running hot? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After buying a LC I have long desired ('91 FJ80) a few weeks back and getting most of the baseline basics checked off, I finally got it out for good trek. Nothing hard core. Just a few nights of camping.

bruiser1_zpsef633cef.jpg
bruiser1_zpsef633cef.jpg

What a great camping rig!! With the seats pulled it has massive cargo space.

I do have 2 questions...

1) Although the temp gauge looks perfect (dead center) and all the fluids are good I feel quite a bit of heat radiating up from under the shift area, once the truck starts working. Enough heat so the plastic casing around the shift and the parking brake get quite warm to the touch. Is this normal? Or the sign of an obvious problem? Bad tranny? (Holding breath). My shop took a look at the transmission fluid and said it looked good.

2) Quite a bit of the dreaded white smoke on start up. I had the block checked and my shop said it tested v well (no hydrocarbons in radiator). Assuming they are right and the HG is in good shape (I hear on the 3FE it can go and go) what might cause this? The exhaust system needs an overhaul so maybe that?

Thanks, as always, for your thoughts...

EDIT: Down to 2 questions and sorry about the IMG tags in this post. Can't seem to fix.

bruiser2_zps8dd746c2.jpg
bruiser2_zps8dd746c2.jpg

Last edited:
The heat is more than likely normal. The smoke on start-up is more than likely bad valve seals. I wouldn't worry too much about either unless your going thru a ton of oil. 'Yota says up to 1qt. for every 1K miles. How much oil are you consuming?

My 91 has the same heat issue, i've had it for 3 years, and its still the same as day 1, its normal. As for the white smoke, does it seem to happen more on cold mornings? Mine does this during winter, and no other time, its caused by condensation inside the mile worth of exhaust tubing. If its doing it all the time, it is most likely valve seals as mentioned above.

It is def worse on chilling AMs. And we were on the ocean (er, Puget Sound) last night and a bunch fog moved through. Makes sense that would contribute. Thanks! Didn't even think of that. Duh.

I will have my man look over those valve seals, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom