Running Hot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed a new aluminum radiator, new weber 32/36 carb, and a new water pump. The motor is getting hot quickly, the oil is clean, radiator is full of 50/50 antifreeze/water. The upper radiator hose is getting hot within a few minutes of run time, although the lower hose is cold. Could the thermostat be bad? Do I have the wrong water pump on it that could be flowing the wrong direction? the upper hose is actually hot to the touch as opposed to being warm which you would expect after only a few minutes of run. Thoughts? Thanks

I bet you are short on coolant and have air in the bock.

try parking it on a steep uphill or put the front up on ramps or jack stands and then run it with the cap off. Air should then migrate up to the filler and bubble out then refill the rad and you should be good to go.

It could be a bad cap or a bad thermostat too I guess.

I actually had this problem prior to installing the new radiator, I agree that it could be an air pocket. Is it right that the upper radiator hose is getting that hot in a few minutes? Do these motors run off of a directional water pump?

First thing is to verify that the coolant is overheating. Install an aftermarket temp gage (just for diagnostic/verification), then drive the truck and see how long it takes to get to operating temp, and if it really does overheat.

What is over heating? What is the condition and placement of the temp sending wire? A friend had a similar problem with his 1997 motor home. Wild fluctuations in temp readings. He wrapped the temp sender and wire with Teflon and the temp reading stabilized.

Like Jim C says, first determine that the coolant is, or is not, overheating. An infrared temp sensor will allow you to spot check the hoses, pump, head, block or where ever.

Simple test to see if the problem is the thermostat:
Remove it.

It's only there to allow the engine to warm up more quickly. Once it's warmed up, it's as though it wasn't there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom