Running Cold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK I think I already know the answer to this question but I am looking for someone to till me I am correct.

issue: With the temperatures dropping around here the 60 doesn't want to come up to it's normal operarting temp. heater isn't blowing out much heat either.

solution: place cardboard in front of radiator? or is there something else at work here that i should be concerned about????

thanks guys

If it's decently cold (well below freezing), then your problem and solution sound right. If it isn't that cold, then you may have an issue with your thermostat, or as likely, the rubber ring that goes in with the thermostat.

For the cardboard, I'd suggest you cut a hole in the center of the cardboard, to allow a bit of airflow when needed, and to keep your fan from kicking in all the time.

RocDoc - thanks for the reply. The temps haven't been that cold 30's. so it sounds like I might have a thermostat/o-ring issue.

when i had that issue it was the tstat o ring

spent a whole colorado winter with no heat before i figured it out

Good grief. I just realized after reading this thread what the problem with my 60 probably was all these years. I actually had a buddy sew a canvas grill cover with just a small cut out that we attached with snaps riveted to the grill and front apron.
Having good heat in the winter was never in the cards for me.
I just realized this when I remembered I didn't see that O-ring when I recently tore down the thermostat housing during my rebuild project.
Dang.:whoops:

Yeah... the first time I took the water neck off my truck after I bought it...(it had no o ring) and some of the shop diagrams were not clear. Anyway ...any older vehicle that's not putting out heat.... I would look at the thermostat and components first. I guess the "o" just helps to seal the thermostat at the water neck.

BUMP

Does this O-Ring go above or below the thermostat?

edit- More searching revealed the answer. Part on order.

Last edited:
Not only is it nice to have a warm Cruiser, it is important for the engine to come up to operating temp. If not, the oil will gunk things up and your engine will wear out more quickly. This is not a problem to be ignored.

Definitely sounds like the thermostat. It sounds like it is stuck open. If I can come up to temps at -30°C - you should be able to at +30°F

Joe_E - Some of the Canadian BJ60's come factory with a rad "blind". My parts truck has one. Just like a window blind, you pull it down & it un-rolls - pull it again and it rolls up.

no o-ring on my :frown:

replaced thermostat and put in an o-ring awhile ago and the problem was solved

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom