Running BFG KO2s - Would Used KO Spare Pose an Issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have four new 285/75r16 BFG A/T KO2s on my 100 right now but didn't want to shell out an additional $210 to replace the spare, so right now I'm carrying around a now-unusable little Yokohama spare that was there when I bought the truck.

I found a dirt cheap used 285/75r16 KO (so *not* KO2) that I'd like to mount and use as the spare. Assuming its in safe-to-use condition, could this pose any issues if I were ever to need to mount it and drive on it? The differences would be 1) Its a KO, not a KO2 and 2) The tread would likely be significantly more worn than the other three tires.

I don't wheel real hard, just some camping and back country trails, so odds are against me ever even needing the spare.

What would you guys do?

I don't wheel real hard, just some camping and back country trails, so odds are against me ever even needing the spare.

Me neither. I've always heard that you need a good spare, maybe two, a tire repair kit. and an air compressor when you travel the River Road in Big Bend. I never worried about it until I found myself changing a flat on a tire with less than 5000 miles on it. A rock had poked through an outer lug. Now I make sure my spare is good and the tire repair kit and compressor are always around.

It was 107° at 5PM when I changed the flat. Not fun

If the diameter is the same I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for your help guys. I picked it up tonight. Can't beat $15. Its a little rough - just hoping it holds air when i get it put on tomorrow.

Why not buy a 5th tire and do a 5 wheel rotation schedule? You'll get a directly proportional increase in mileage from the tires and you'll know that your spare will always be good to go and won't damage or stress any components if you have to use it.

As long as your rolling diameter is within 10% you're fine. Even 10-12%

Discount tire put it on for free. No issues and I was in and out in 15 minutes, no appointment, on what was a very busy Saturday afternoon. $15 all said and done. Shoutout to Paul at Discount Tire on State Street in SLC.

@TexasCrane I know, I know. I thought of that alternative, and I know I may wish I had down the road, but I'm trying to be as minimalist as possible and right now I'm glad I have the $185 difference in my pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom