runnin birfs without grease (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
how long could you run in 4x4 without much grease in the knuckles???

for instance, trail repair gone bad, no grease to fill the knuckle again, could you keep wheeling for a couple of days without causing too much damage (there is grease packed in the CV, but none in the knuckle

try it and let us know...i wouldn't do it.

yeah i figured as much... it's just that the shops are closed, i used my last tub of grease to put the new one in, and i'm keen to test it... but shops that stock grease won't be open for a couple of days.

are you filling your knuckle with grease? I only pack the actual birf and put a small film around the bell and some on the trunion bearings.

jeez, with all the recent threads asking what the best grease is for this and that and the differences coming down to nit-picking over service intervals, this is a hell of a question. my jaw dropped when i read the title. that being said, i wonder if any non-replaceable parts would get damaged. i don't know but i wish you the best.

are you willing to take the chance just to "test it"
i'd wait a couple days and do it right.

i'm hoping not to have to "test it" im asking in advance in case i have to test it.

and yes i'm willing to risk it (what are the chances i'll blow my new cv's in the next couple of days?) for 3 days of wheeling that i won't ever get the chance to do again.

oh and not everyone is a service nutter ;)... most the cars in my family don't even get oil changes that often, and regularly clock up 600 000k's before rusting away. (motors usually still going though)

my biggest concern that the kingpin (trunion???) bearings (top and bottom of the knuckle where it swivels) will die without adequate grease. i can see the birf holding enough for a day or 2. and besides a dead birf at $2.50 i can live with. having my steering knuckle weld up on the highway is a bit different

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom