Run flat tires for a 2016-2021 200 Series Land Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm not sure if this is a possibility, but I'm just wondering if newer tire technology has made these possible, and if so, is there a recommended option?

No. Never. I hate run flats.

Run-flats ride AWFUL. You don't wanna go there.

I had a Lexus IS-C convertible a few years ago, and that car came with run-flats from the factory, I believe to save the weight for the spare (even though there was a well in the trunk). It was common to swap out the run-flats with a set of Michelin Pilots, then get a spare, because the ride was so terrible. Mine was already done when I bought it.

Run-flats ride AWFUL. You don't wanna go there.

I had a Lexus IS-C convertible a few years ago, and that car came with run-flats from the factory, I believe to save the weight for the spare (even though there was a well in the trunk). It was common to swap out the run-flats with a set of Michelin Pilots, then get a spare, because the ride was so terrible. Mine was already done when I bought it.
My GS had a spare and run flats. Maybe they weren't from the factory though, I bought it with 30k miles (and it had new tires on it), but seems like I read that it came with run flats. But I agree. The run flats were the worst. I ended up pulling mine off after about 15k miles because it was all I could bear. I could only imagine what a runflat on a 33" tire would look/feel like.

I don’t think run flats are available with that tall of a sidewall, plus they typically give extremely terrible ride quality over conventional tires.

And the biggest problem is that run-flats are hard to come by if you’re far away from big metropolitan cities. So, if you damage your run-flats and you’re in a small town, then you’re screwed.

Moot point. No run-flats in LC sizes (at least with a search at the Tire Rack).

And the biggest problem is that run-flats are hard to come by if you’re far away from big metropolitan cities. So, if you damage your run-flats and you’re in a small town, then you’re screwed.

The same applies to most all tires these days. Does not matter the size of town or city. Spouse got side wall damage on a Michelin Pilot while in So.Cal. No place could get a tire for a couple of days. She drove home in 100F temps on the winter tire which is the spare. Her buggy does not have spare so we just toss a winter in the boot.

The other issue with run flats is that when one does get a puncture, it is not repairable because once the tire is run flat the side wall is degraded.

Conceptually, run flats appeal to me at many different levels. It looks like I'll have to wait until more advanced technology is available, if it ever will be, to satisfy my desire.

A good set of E rated All terrain tires will be be much less prone to flats than the stock P rated Dunlops. I've driven sets of E rated tires on various vehicles for 60+K miles without a flat. Unless you have a specificly unusual use case, a set of E rated tires may essentially have no flats for the life of the tire.

I had runflats on an earlier Z4 I had. Terrible and got rid of them. Trammeling is horrible. Ride is horrible and this was on a light small veehicle rather than a big heavy beast

Besides you can't air down runflats to run a trail

as stated, point is moot as they dont make them

A tough E rated all terrain tire is going to be a far better option than run flats. Most modern all terrain tires can handle pretty intense abuse even on a heavy 200 like airing down to 10psi and driving over sharp rocks and sticks, and the on road performance is miles ahead of run flats. Some are even rated as "snow tires" with the 3 peak mountain snowflake on the sidewall, so they are very versatile and competent in nearly all situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom