Rumpleshank gets armrests...they came with the new leather seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
Ok so it also got power and heated leather seats too but let's not gloss over the armrest!

DYNOSOAR and I spent a weekend getting these bad boys installed. FIRSTOY had a complete set of leather seats from a 2008 RX330 that I got from him. By the weekend Peter and I were installing. What it really comes down to at the beginning is just making the decision and just doing it. The decision was made to use them even though they were a few inches taller than OEM but it was worth it.

It meant removing all the pinch welds to get the seat mounts removed. Then going back and welding in all the holes, removing the tar and then trimming the old RX330 mounts and making new ones and then removing the rear heater core and fan. It wasn't particularly difficult, I think, but it did take a long time to get it done.

It looks like I have tracked down the EWD for these seats. So I will be ordering the OEM connectors and spade terminals and then do up the wiring. The wiring itself or the seat controls was pretty easy to figure out. since they all shared a common ground. Now its just getting the relays and switches figured out. The heater element I still need to test but I think I have that one figured out as well.

The only thing left to decide is whether or not I want to fiddle with the side airbags since these since come with it. I dunno, haven't decided.

Next up is getting a 62 rear bench and then having the upholsterer match the leather from the front seats. I plan on using the same rear head rests from the RX330 so I made sure to keep the rear seats to reuse as much of those seats as possible.

I've also been researching microfiber and I may just go ahead and apply dark brown microfiber to all of the plastic panels on the truck that are currently brown. This means the kick panels, the pillars and everything else. Then its sound deadening and most likely carpet.

image-3602989552.jpg

image-1328122874.jpg

image-1667968415.jpg

image-2513890417.jpg

image-3076177207.jpg

image-3206724811.jpg

image-3080387141.jpg

image-1357473079.jpg

image-2121139162.jpg

image-3384282205.jpg

image-1465477949.jpg

image-3207850918.jpg

image-3266825833.jpg

image-798561365.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!!

You guys actually removed the stock seat mounting brace/bracket??

I thought about that, but didnt need to for my application -es300 seats

Were those seats memory? If so, you may want to bypass the stock wiring and install 3 pole switches and relays.

Doing some research leads me to believe that if the electric seats have a memory function. you may run into issues.

Let us know what you do on the wiring.

Cheers

From what I can tell these are not memory seats. I have seats working with a power supply. All good. What I need to decide is what switches to use and where to install. Of course now it means I need to install an aux fuse panel now.

And yes, removed the stock seating bracket. Wasn't so bad.

From what I can tell these are not memory seats.

Correct, they are not. They look good! I had been thinking about putting the exact same seats out of an '06 Highlander Limited into mine, but was on the fence due to the tan seats and my gray interior. The deciding factor for me was last night I drove to Nashville in my mom's '06 Highlander and the seats started hurting my lower back after a couple hours. I don't want to discourage you, though. I think the back soreness was just a personal thing. You'll have to let us know how you like them off road and on extended trips.

So, if anyone else decides they want to use these seats, we have a pretty nice pair at work that I won't be using.

Man, even Kim Kardashian's azz would like those ... :grinpimp:

Nice work, guys.

Nice work, fellas! I take it you're not worried the seat mounts won't deform or fully punch through the thin floor sheetmetal? (Assuming you don't have a larger plate backing up the underside)

Man, even Kim Kardashian's azz would like those ... :grinpimp:

Nice work, guys.

Thanks Alf. Its pretty nice leather actually. Supple even :D

Nice work, fellas! I take it you're not worried the seat mounts won't deform or fully punch through the thin floor sheetmetal? (Assuming you don't have a larger plate backing up the underside)

Yes actually that was/is a concern. We made 2x2 squares to use on the other side of the sheet metal as well. If these seats do start to deform the sheet metal then there are other things we can do. I will be keeping an eye on it.

Nice job guys...
No way that is going to punch through with rust free metal and all the bends on that cabin floor.
If needed you could add more metal to the tab you added...

uote:
Originally Posted by Spike Strip View Post
Man, even Kim Kardashian's azz would like those ...

Nice work, guys.
Thanks Alf. Its pretty nice leather actually. Supple even

Are you talking about her arse or the seats?

Nice work.

Doug

Confused. Why a 62 rear bench? If you're really wanting one, Peter may be holding out on you.

HOLDING OUT! I installed the one you gave me the day I got it from you :).

Dyno

Nice job guys...
No way that is going to punch through with rust free metal and all the bends on that cabin floor.
If needed you could add more metal to the tab you added...

Having had a basic exposure to go-fast desert rigs a few years, I'll say 'yes way'. It can and does happen. The tab contacting the floor is concentrated in a very small flat section, so there's no strengthening from those bends.

Just look at what Toyota did on the underside, then copy it using 1/8 plate and as big as possible. round the edges as toyota did...

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep this thread going. I wan't to see the finished product for all of it. Nice work!

Yes looking forward to seeing a leather bench seat, we want pics :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom