Rumor spreading

Discussion in 'FJ Cruiser' started by Pskhaat, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Pskhaat

Pskhaat

So this must be like fourth hand rumor but at work we have a few automotive-related projects (I can't name them) and a 3rd-party partner on the project with whom we we work and I had a conversation on Toyota's market share which of course steered to my passion for LCs and he said something to the fact ``do you like the new Land Cruiser that's coming out?''

``Uhhh, the one called the `FJ Cruiser'?'' I asked? Promptly thereafter expressing in nice terms my preference for the `real' LCs. He said very nonchalantly ``well those new ones are going to replace the `old' big Land Cruisers.''

Do I take much credit in this? I'm not sure, but he was kind-of an automotive insider and worked to promote marketing research for the big brands.

2. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

Why throw the caveat of "real" in there..

Trucks evolve. Is the new corvette not the same as an older "real" corvette???

3. Pskhaat

Pskhaat

Sorry, there's no rhetoric in there, just trying to convey the conversation. I'm confident the FJC will be a fine vehicle, just making the point of overhearing rumor that it in and of itself (the 4runner platform I guess) will overtake the US LC line.

4. shocker

shocker

No. You can look in the 100 series section for discussion, but Toyota is NOT disconinuing production on the lineage of wagon style Land Cruisers.

This is according to several trade publications, industry mags, and Toyota themselves.

5. reservoirdog

reservoirdog

I think the Lexus version of it has been outselling the Toyota version for quite some time. The Toyota Land Cruiser will be replaced by the FJ (which will eventually take it's name....FJ Cruiser > FJ Land Cruiser > Land Cruiser FJ).

The Lexus version probably isn't going anywhere.

6. shocker

shocker

The information that has come out says that Lexus will get their own large SUV, no longer based on the LC platform. Probably a re-badged Sequoia.

The newest LC WILL BE SOLD HERE. Design influences will not be American driven, however, but will be dictated more by other markets such as Australia and South America.

THAT SAID, THE NEWEST LAND CRUISER WILL STILL BE SOLD HERE.

7. Pskhaat

Pskhaat

I can only pray for a 105 or 70 series 'round these parts. Anyway, I'm with you all and I've read all the threads and links etc, I'm just spreading rumors I hear from those that very well may know. And BTW, the statement was made about the future, not just next year.

8. endobrian

endobrian

At $56k and 10mpg, it's hard to move a 100 series LC. Yes, Lexus is selling more $68k units...only because rich soccer moms prefer them. Yes, after 8 years they turn into "ours", but see we aren’t buying the things directly from Toyota. If rich soccer moms want more bling, and less solid front axle, there ain't much stopping toyota from giving them it.

Plug your ears and hum all you want. It's in the air; Sequoia will be rebadged. What Toyota should have done was give the fj cruiser a solid front axle. That's all that's missing. as for the 2mm steel, the leather and the gold...well, you'll get over it.

9. firetruck41

firetruck41

The 25k compact SUV FJ Cruiser won't replace the $55k full size LC.

10. pjohnson

pjohnson SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:

Maybe someone can confirm a rumour that the FJC will be offered in a Limited version with a solid front axle...

This came from a local dealer (non-sales guy).

Phil

11. firetruck41

firetruck41

I would guess BS on that one, typical dealer. Unless there is a real serious Land Cruiser enthusiast at a dealer, I would bet we know more about it, than 95% of the dealers (GMs and sales snakes). There is more info in this forum than probably anywhere else, about the new FJ :) There is no (OEM) solid axle on that platform anywhere in production that I am aware of. One could hope.

12. FirstToy

FirstToy

The FJ Cruiser's roots are in the Prado 120. The family tree splits and the FJC is part of the 4R/GX/Prado family tree. (I think the FJ C is the mechanical twin of the Prado 120 3 door.)

series
    60--->80--->100 (Land Cruiser, LX470)

series
    70--->90--->120 (4R/GX/Prado/FJC)

13. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

The biggest reason the Fj Cruiser is not called a Land Cruiser is to not confuse buyers who want the luxo wagon. If the Land cruiser was going to be replaced, I think the FJ Cruiser would be called the Land Cruiser FJ.

lexus' new giant wagon is NOT going to be LC based.

14. jimm0921

jimm0921

Fj40

From what I hear it will be longer and more powerful LX470 and it will most likley be hybird I just returned from the Lexus Dealer meeting and time frame is late 2007.

As for the Fj this is what i know so far some maybe new and some old

eng 4.0l v6
    hp241
    trq 279lbs
    5 spd auto and 6 speeed in 4x4
    length 177.6
    width 74.6
    height 70.9
    wheelbase 105.9
    ground clearance 9.6
    towing 5000

Features water repellant fabric liner type flooring near fold flat rear seats free A?C cd player tilt wheel
    options
    rear diff
    locking center diff
    17inch alloys
    4wd traction control
    side front and rear curtain air bags
    cruise control
    anyhow I hope it adds light to it

Jim

15. pjaln

pjaln

the new FJ ,from what i am seeing is nothing more than a mixed up 4runner i was hoping for a straight axled truck but the fact is toyota makes 3 different looking , but the same vehicles of the same frame and drivetrain all have IFS

i was hoping for a beefy rig to hook a plow up to.i have no options in buying the toyota brand to plow with ,yet jeep cj can handle a plow no problem why are we screwed like this i hope they get stuck with all of them ....paul

16. G-Cat

G-Cat SILVER Star

Albums:
    That will probably happen.

17. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    not really, the 70 and 120 are both in current production,

18. Ocelot

Ocelot

Yeah, it was more
    40->70
    90->120

19. FirstToy

FirstToy

Here is a pretty interesting family tree
    Even tho the 70 is still being produced, the 90 and 120 are offshoots of it. I think the 80 is still produced in S. America as well.

http://tlc.toyota-europe.com/main_frame.html

20. Ocelot

Ocelot

Yeah venezeula I think?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.