Rumor from over the pond: BMW 300 series Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well this popped up on my Land Cruiser feed. Maybe a BMW 300 series Land Cruiser with Toyota bits underneath but BMW styling. šŸ¤®šŸ¤¢

Wouldn't be impossible with the Z4 and Supra mashup. But jeez Toyota, if this were true really bastarding the epic Land Cruiser heritage. Also with what Merc did with their X series pickup and Nissan Navara.

SmartSelect_20190627-124536_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
If that is the case I will buy a second 200 series. The 200 will hold value well being the last real LC

Clickbait. Never going to happen, and simple reasoning would rule this out. BMW has the new X7 with near-identical dimensions as the LC/LX.

Toyota has the Sequoia with similar dimensions, too. If two similar vehicles sell under the same brand, they'll certainly sell under two very different brands.

And if that IG post is to be believed, consumers want capability in the BMW lineup, not so much dimensions.

Who knows...

Toyota has the Sequoia with similar dimensions, too. If two similar vehicles sell under the same brand, they'll certainly sell under two very different brands.

And if that IG post is to be believed, consumers want capability in the BMW lineup, not so much dimensions.

Who knows...
I agree that you can have two similarly dimensioned/optioned vehicles like the Sequoia and the LC under a single brand, however, Toyota added a lower cost option without the capabilities (Sequoia) after the LC. This would be the opposite for BMW. There isn't another luxury manufacturer that's building a LC type vehicle. The G-Wagon is capable, but just not really. Same story for the Range Rover. No one is taking those vehicles to the outback/Africa/ME for serious use.

I agree that you can have two similarly dimensioned/optioned vehicles like the Sequoia and the LC under a single brand, however, Toyota added a lower cost option without the capabilities (Sequoia) after the LC. This would be the opposite for BMW. There isn't another luxury manufacturer that's building a LC type vehicle. The G-Wagon is capable, but just not really. Same story for the Range Rover. No one is taking those vehicles to the outback/Africa/ME for serious use.
Uhhh, the G-Wagen is all over the Middle East/Africa. Not in the quantities as the LC, but BMW ain't ever going to break into that market.

Exactly! /s Your video better serves my point because the Merc is actually being towed out by a Land Cruiser 70 series. Look closer.

It's not being towed out. The GWagon and the Cruiser teamed up to pull out the lorry because it's too heavy for either vehicle by itself.

I've seen similar setups with four-five 4x4 vehicles pulling huge, loaded semi trucks up icy hills. Doesn't mean the first vehicle is towing out the rest.

There are people who use GWagons "properly," and I recall Land Rovers doing pretty well in the Camel Trophy. All vehicles have their own, respective appeals. And to get sort of back on topic: BMW could certainly be wanting to get in the middle of that luxury off-roader market.

The 70-series had nothing to do with actually getting the g-wagon and truck out.. it was replaced by a tractor for the final pull.

I'm not sure I'd call this proper use of a g-wagon. The guy thinking he could help a loaded dump truck with those tires in soft sand was optimistic at best. Effectively all they ended up doing was extend the tow rope to the tractor..

Iā€™m not trying to start a fight, and lords knows Iā€™m only one man, but for all the years I was in the Middle East and Africa... I never saw a G wagon or Rover from a local.

Now, and this is the important part, Iā€™ll be the first to admit that, Iā€™m sure they were there. Itā€™s just that I was usually in the really crappy areas, where there just isnā€™t much money or even a place anyone would want to visit.

Now this part, is just my theory. I think, just think... the Cruisers held up okay to non existent maintenance and lack of spare parts. But the Mercs and Rovers didnā€™t as well unless you were someone from outside, that had outside the area funding, to keep those trucks running. Thatā€™s just me and what Iā€™ve seen, doesnā€™t make it the holy grail or anything.

Iā€™m not trying to start a fight, and lords knows Iā€™m only one man, but for all the years I was in the Middle East and Africa... I never saw a G wagon or Rover from a local.

Now, and this is the important part, Iā€™ll be the first to admit that, Iā€™m sure they were there. Itā€™s just that I was usually in the really crappy areas, where there just isnā€™t much money or even a place anyone would want to visit.

Now this part, is just my theory. I think, just think... the Cruisers held up okay to non existent maintenance and lack of spare parts. But the Mercs and Rovers didnā€™t as well unless you were someone from outside, that had outside the area funding, to keep those trucks running. Thatā€™s just me and what Iā€™ve seen, doesnā€™t make it the holy grail or anything.
You're certainly right, LCs clearly tend to hold up better with "deferred maintenance" than the MB or the Bentleys that you find in Dubai and the like. The LC we have in Iraq hardly ever sees maintenance and just keeps on running.

The 70-series had nothing to do with actually getting the g-wagon and truck out.. it was replaced by a tractor for the final pull.

I'm not sure I'd call this proper use of a g-wagon. The guy thinking he could help a loaded dump truck with those tires in soft sand was optimistic at best. Effectively all they ended up doing was extend the tow rope to the tractor..
The guy in the video was the Crown Prince of Dubai, HH Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum. Certainly not the proper use of an AMG especially with those tires, but it was off-road and in the Middle East.

It could be Harry Potter for all I care. While an entertaining and mildly inspiring video of a bigwig attempting to help the little man, it was a totally pointless use of a G wagon ā€œoff the street.ā€

I get it. Someone asked. I took their question more as ā€œare g wagons used like landcruisers?ā€

My impression of the g wagon was while they donā€™t seem to actually get used in the same way as a landcruiser, they have amazing capability most often hampered by the available traction.. and definitly a bit of the ā€œhow much will this costā€ factor.

Not unlike a stock 200-series.

But, I agree 100% that BMW wants no part of this game.

Is the Toyoda Land Cruiser - Mission Statement??? ---roughly--- 25 Years and 500,000 km off road service???

Is the Land Cruiser name plate perhaps the most highly prized product in the Toyoda family's business for 60+ years???

Think it through...

Some things are worth more than money $$$ or Yen...

Maybe BMW will make a really nice Highlander for Lexus...

Know your cultures, know THE family name & pride, know why the Lexus LC 500 was created, Know why the Lexus LFA was created...

Fear NOT!!!

A cartoon...

Jeff

It could be Harry Potter for all I care. While an entertaining and mildly inspiring video of a bigwig attempting to help the little man, it was a totally pointless use of a G wagon ā€œoff the street.ā€

I get it. Someone asked. I took their question more as ā€œare g wagons used like landcruisers?ā€

My impression of the g wagon was while they donā€™t seem to actually get used in the same way as a landcruiser, they have amazing capability most often hampered by the available traction.. and definitly a bit of the ā€œhow much will this costā€ factor.

Not unlike a stock 200-series.

But, I agree 100% that BMW wants no part of this game.
My, we're being a bit testy today.

I saw the article about this too. Started to read and realized I'm wasting my time. With the x7 as someone already stated. And Toyota offering the LX for its luxury oriented customers why would they go and have a 3rd vehicle that's an LC

If I remember correctly it had something to do with Middle east market or something like that.
Pretty sure middle easterns consider a Merc status not a BMW. That's why the rich over there drive G wagons, S class, or rovers. Not necessarily a 7 series

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom