Rubithon 30th year (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've wanted to go on the Rubicon Trail for a long time, and I think I am going to make the goal to go next year at the 30th running of the Rubithon.

I'd like some input from others here that have been on the trail.

So far here are my thoughts:

100 Series:
Pro: I already have it, and could probably get by with just a 1" body lift and adding 35's
Pro/Con: Although it hasn't been done often, it has been done a few times, so there are some style points.
Con: Going to 35's opens up more issues, such as possibly rubbing, requiring manipulating inner fender wells, possibly new Upper Control arms, and very likely steering rack replacement at some point
Con: It sounds like due to size its assured body damage. I plan to sell/trade the 100 in a 1-3 years for a Troopy, so I don't want to destroy it

FJ40 : Pick up a runner, doesn't have to be pretty, make sure it runs well, spend the money on locking the diffs, and pull it up there with the 100.
Pro: Many have done it, it's tried and true.
Pro: If it's a decent body/build, I could pass it off to my son for his first vehicle.
Pro: I've always wanted one, and seeing Steve's 40 on the 1st reminded me how much I like them
Con: Although I like FJ40's I really want a Troopy, and I don't think I would really use the both, so this will likely only be a stop gap, or may extend out the time until I get a troopy, depending on how much money I spend/get back from this.

40's Troopy:
Pro: This is my long term goal to own, so I just accelerate it.
Con: I'm not sure the Troopy would fair well on body damage either.
Con: Finding one and building one could take more than 1.5 year or so I have to be ready. I'm realistic, it will be a weekend, occasional project, and I have seen how long everyone else takes to get these things done, so I know time will be a factor.

I'd buy a truggy that comes up for sale on CL and tow it behind your Hundy. Then flog it, tow it back home and sell if you've scratched your itch. Or keep flogging it on the local trails and don't feel bad about it :)

Toyota Rock crawler

1993 Toyota pickup (rock crawler)

Last edited:
LOL--Thanks @beno

The simple solution is to just borrow @alia176 's 80 and do the Rubicon in that.

Rubicon is too easy in a dedicated Rock crawler.

It's too hard in a 100 and too hard on the 100. @alia176 's doesn't belong to you and therefore is perfect!

Regarding an FJ40-A stock FJ40 will not have an easy time on the Rubicon, and a modified FJ40 isn't something you want a teen driver to have because they will roll it over.

LOL--Thanks @beno

The simple solution is to just borrow @alia176 's 80 and do the Rubicon in that.

Rubicon is too easy in a dedicated Rock crawler.

It's too hard in a 100 and too hard on the 100. @alia176 's doesn't belong to you and therefore is perfect!

Regarding an FJ40-A stock FJ40 will not have an easy time on the Rubicon, and a modified FJ40 isn't something you want a teen driver to have because they will roll it over.

I'm looking for the middle ground, something that doesn't make easy work of it, but is not assured destruction, that's why I was thinking the 40. I wasn't expecting it to be stock.. something like a lift running 33's, and maybe even go back down to 31's if my son drives it.

But I like the idea of using @alia176 's 80. How about $300 for the extended weekend as rental, full coverage $0 deductible insurance included?

A lift with 33s and no gearing will be no fun on the Rubicon. BTDT 2001.

I don't have a good solution for you, but an 80 would suit all needs pretty well and it's an appropriate teen ride

I say forget the teenage angle at this time and just be selfish. Buy a crawler and beat the snot out of it. The 80 is a fat, heavy pig for the Rubicon. Why do you think Drew doesn't wheel his 80 up there? :flipoff2: With that said, I've rather enjoyed wheeling other people's 80 in the Rubi :hillbilly:.

I'm looking at going this coming Rubithon if I can get Brock's truck done in time. plan is to take his and mine.
for you-you'll want some good mods on any truck. 100 wouldn't be fun as mentioned already. it really takes a strong middle ground truck. not too long (troopy or 80 on 35's may be ok), but if there's rear overhang be prepared to armor it or bang it up. my fj40 trailer on 35's (less control on line taken) hit the rear tail lights/bumpers. I have some video of when I went through it. I like the troopy idea. or a toyota truck crawler second (son could use that safer than a 40).

You guys got time as I don't think the Rubithon will take place in June due to the snow pack!!

that could help, maybe. on the task for Ron, I just found what he needs...build this!!
15941370_1847972235484260_3506050383477354109_n.jpg

^^^^ I think there is something wrong with me... must... drive... short... bus....

A lift with 33s and no gearing will be no fun on the Rubicon. BTDT 2001.

I don't have a good solution for you, but an 80 would suit all needs pretty well and it's an appropriate teen ride

What you talkin' 'bout Willis.

You joke, but I've been wanting a short bus for a long time. I'd like to build an RV out of a pre-60's short bus. But I'm also a big fan of old delivery vehicles. That pic is awesome.

I was thinking maybe something like this would be fun to do it in:

I say forget the teenage angle at this time and just be selfish. Buy a crawler and beat the snot out of it. The 80 is a fat, heavy pig for the Rubicon. Why do you think Drew doesn't wheel his 80 up there? :flipoff2: With that said, I've rather enjoyed wheeling other people's 80 in the Rubi :hillbilly:.

Hey-my 80 went through there last year along with my 60. So 2 fat pigs! The 60 has an even phatter rear end.

For a budget wheeler, you can't beat a Minitruck. But then you're a minitruck guy. NTTAWWT

But, I agree with @alia176 that the Rubicon truck and the teenager CAR should be 2 separate conversations. Get the teen a 10+ year old 4 cyl Honda Accord and call it good. Then wheel what ever you want. Just don't show up in some cobbled together junk that no one will have parts for.

I mentioned to Eric (Rubithon chairman) that he should consider an "IFS" run, so that everyone with a modded 100, Taco, FJC and 4Runner can give it a go. And since I'm no longer leading the Wagon run (yippy!) feel free to show up in your 100 for the Wagon run.:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom