CANCELED- Rubicon Trail -Sept 7th 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have at least two BBRC members commited. Tim M. plans to come out with a new build!

Also keep in mind Diesel is more than gasoline right now. I also figure about $0.75-1.00 more per gallon as you head west. Also figure in a oil change before and after the trip.
So, three logos

He is some feedback on a few questions I had:

Rob,

Good to hear from you! That’s quite a list of questions, but I have answers.

Does this include human waste? If you use your own ‘facilities’, you MUST haul out your wag bags (sealable, that don’t leak). There are plenty of ‘porta-potties’ at Rubicon Springs that are serviced regularly. Yes, they haul it out in a tank mounted on an off-road trailer. Just use bio-degradable paper safe for septic systems.

Is there a dinner planned for friday or sat night? Dinner is Saturday night just before the Raffle. Typically the choice it is between Tri-tip or chicken, with salad, beans corn, roll and a desert TBD. We are considering a kid-friendly option this year (hamburgers/hot dogs), but that’s not final yet. Friday night is the Marauder Bar and Bonfire for adults, there will also be kids movies and activities while the adults mingle.

What time do people usually start heading out on Sunday, and is that something that could take most of the day due to traffic? The early bird gets to the pavement first. Normally it takes about 2 hours to reach the pavement at Tahoma Staging if you don’t have any traffic, and depending on the rig types and number of vehicles. Some folks head out as early as 5am, but if you are not familiar with the trail this is a challenge. Otherwise, heading out by 6 -6:30am is easily doable. We try to have the “Exit Crew” on Cadillac Hill before 6am to facilitate the exit. The longer you wait past 7am the slower the trip will be. That said, the last of the committee folks usually head out from Rubicon Springs sometime between 10 and 11am and are having a late lunch in South Lake Tahoe between 2 and 3pm.

With regards to Fordyce, you need to stay on top of that one. Pacific Gas and Electric is doing work on their Hydroelectric facility at Fordyce Lake and that will effect discharges. Also, you’ll be at the beginning of the snow-melt releases which is affected by snow pack and day time temps. The first link below is the historical averages for Fordyce. Note the dip in August is deliberate for the Annual CA4WD Sierra Trek. Anything over 200cfs is very sketchy (ask me how I know) when you comes to crossing Fordyce Creek, which you have to do several times to make the trek.
Fordyce Creek - Below Fordyce Dam - river flow graph
Fordyce Creek - Below Fordyce Dam - river flow graph

Here is the Facebook page for Friends of Fordyce with additional information on the work that will be affecting access and flows.
Friends of Fordyce

More options here. Some of you guys in wagons might be able to carry the larger ones with water that flush!

Depending on timing, one might be able to stop at the Land Cruiser museum in Salt Lake City while driving out....

I made a "poo howitzer", which was a 36" length of 3" pipe and we just tied 'em up and shoved 'em in.

Dude that is epic. Hook it up to to OBA, pressurize, fire in the hole.

Maybe folks could go in on this...
Why, not add $20k, one could really do something.

Last edited:
Or... More reasonably:
And:

And all for under $40k...
Could probably get 3 40's and an 80 on there.
Now, to find 4 people with 10k available to burn...

Here is a good video series. Shows a 60, two 40's and a Jeep Rubicon. Watch wheel speed. 60 has a loud diesel, I think a 4bt, auto and tons. Red 40 is a BJ? with stockish gears, and the blue 40 needs gears. Rubicon has a 4:1 case, 4:10 gears and a auto. Much more controlable. Now I am not touting on the Jeep but the gear ratio it has is a good fit for the terrain. Both the 40 appear to not have enough gear and bounce around a lot and they ride the clutch A LOT. Makes me want an Orion case!

There are multiple videos so sit back with a few drinks and enjoy!

One more of the 25th Rubithon

Sooooooo.......I used to live out West, was in Cali for 12+ years. Ran Rubicon 1-2 times/year for probably 7-8 of those years. I ran an ‘84 Toyota pickkup that had all tube instead of the bed, 37’s, Diamond axle front/IFS rear and then later Dana 60’s. Dual cases, mild 22R, manual trans. It had a ton of time just tuning and driving it, was very well sorted, and could hang well with rigs on 40’s and better.

Few basic thoughts:

1) Trail is long and not as hard as it used to be, but is still a real challenge. For anything on less than 37’s and built, you will be well challenged and need to pay constant attention. Make sure your rig is well sorted for multiple days of constant wheeling. If it leaks, fix it. No one wants fluids all over the trail. If you’ve got a big V8 and small gas tank, plan on bringing fuel with you. If you’re prone to breakage, upgrade before you go and put some hours/miles on a new build or components before you go. The trail will find your rigs weak spots and if you don’t know what they are or carry spares, you’ll be in for a long trip.

2) The basic rule is 33’s and at least one locker. BUT that rig will struggle unless the driver is very experienced, knows the trail, and the rig is well sorted. Especially a full bodied rig like a FJ60. For those who have never run the trail, and don’t run lots of challenging rocky trails, 35’s and lockers front/rear are a good place to start. A winch is a must have regardless of how built your rig is.

3) You pack out everything you pack in. Food, trash, your own waste. WAG bags are a must. There are little cardboard toilets we used to use, take it, go a few hundred feet away from camp and behind a tree/rocks, and leave the trail cleaner than you found it.

4) The trail is truly beautiful. Unlike anything on the East Coast. Its at 6000-8000 ft if I remember right, and if you’re not used to the altitude, you can get winded running around. Be prepared, sort out your rig and gear, and it’s a completely amazing place.

I’m more than happy to share experience or answer questions. I’m by no means an expert, and it’s been 5 years since I was there, but i’ll try to help if I can for those really interested in making it out there.

Putting together the laundry list, I’d need:

4” lift kit
35’s
Orion
Winch/winch bumper
Front locker
Jerry cans
U-bolt flip
Tire carrier to handle 35” tire

Plus:
H41 (in progress)
Skid plate (in progress)

So a cool $8 grand or so in upgrades, plus $2500 to transport the ride, plus a flight out...this is starting to sound like an expensive vacation...

Last edited:
Putting together the laundry list, I’d need:

4” lift kit
35’s
Orion
Winch/winch bumper
Front locker
Jerry cans
U-bolt flip
Tire carrier to handle 35” tire

Plus:
H41 (in progress)
Skid plate (in progress)

So a cool $8 grand or so in upgrades, plus $2500 to transport the ride, plus a flight out...this is starting to sound like an expensive vacation...

Hanging out with people and friends you know on one of the most epic off road trails in the world while driving your own rig, PRICELESS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom