CANCELED- Rubicon Trail -Sept 7th 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is a post I made in the 100 series section that details my build, and extra's I brought along, and the carnage I had. I made it through thanks to the great spotting I had, and patience. That said, I was in the back of the pack, and used my lockers frequently. There are many places I could probably have made it through without them, but after a little slip, I would activate them in order to the wagon train rolling.

Thanks for chiming in, Ron. :cheers:

Hearing data from someone who’s done it is important, IMO.

Yes, Thanks Ron! Having read this thread and yours, I have a lot to think about.

Most mods are done but I have a list of additional things to consider, especially rear locker. The details on spares was also great.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

This is my first look at the Keystone thread, and it sounds amazing how much traction there is on this. Matzell and I were chatting at Fall Crawl, and it sounds like the West Coast organizers are really excited to get a good sized participation from East Coast clubs. One consideration that may come into play is that it’s possible the Rubithon dates could conflict with Coalmine. It has in past years. Especially if you are shipping trucks, and you may be without your rig for up to three straight weeks. If we really do have a good sized group brewing, it might make sense to reach out to the organizers to see if they they could be influenced to avoid the mid July timeframe. Otherwise there could be a big conflict with Coalmine that possibly could be avoided. It may not be plausible as they have a lot of reasoning behind the dates they choose, but maybe it would be considered if mentioned to them.

I think it would take a lot of balls to make that request. I nominate Jeff!

The way to go is to not request it. Instead say we have a big group planning to come out from the East Coast. If Rubithon overlapped with Coalmine cruiser classic, it would greatly reduce participation. Particularly now there are Gotham Guys planning to go. Then we tell the CMCC dates and ask what the likelihood of that happening is, because it would be critical for our planning purposes. This way it’s not a request but they would be aware of the potential issue, and hopefully take it under consideration. I’m happy to reach out, if someone has an email and a name to contact.

Personally speaking, I would never expect the organizers of the Rubithon to allow the possible participation of (????) trucks from the East Coast to influence their date-setting decision. Right now I would have to say there are maybe three or four firm commitments to attend Rubithon- a lot of talk and hopes but guys who I believe are definitely going to go don't number more than a handful of fingers. Yes their dates are somewhat dynamic due to the depth of the previous winter's snowpack, and that makes it a bit complicated for us who are planning a long range trip. I have been at every Coal Mine event except for the initial get together and while I would hate to miss next year, if I have made a commitment to go to the Rubithon I wouldn't change it due to a conflict with the Coal Mine dates. Hell, maybe this coming season's snowpack will be less than average and Rubithon will be held in June as usually planned!

Some quick napkin math:
5400mi (out and back from NoVA) ÷ 10mpg (towing) = 540gal
540gal x $2.50/gal = $1350
+ hotels and food + days off.
Just putting some perspective on this. These #'s don't daunt me, but may be something to consider for those on the fence.

With the potential of us having a sizable group of trucks going to Rubithon, it's never too early to start planning, Rubithon is done in organized groups and, if we want to do this as a group, we need to be proactive to give us the highest probability of accomplishing that goal.
This is the group breakdown and departure times from 2019:
1573134141377.png

Travel considerations include arriving in time to shop for food and meet at trail head at appropriate time depending on when we want to start on the trail. I kind of like the Wednesday afternoon departure, but another consideration is getting into the springs in time to get a good camp spot.

The following is predicated on running Fordyce Creek trail following Rubithion. (I think it would make for an epic story, if we can actually pull it off)
If a group of us were to do Fordyce Creek Trail immediately following Rubithon, there are some potentially significant logistical challenges we need to address. The Rubicon exits into Tahoma, on the west side of Tahoe and the Fordyce trailhead is 45 miles from Tahoma. However, we need to consider where our trailers are parked and if there are members of our group who will require their trailer to get from Tahoma to the Fordyce trailhead.
My recommendation would be that we drop trailers at the Icehouse resort or Loon Lake trailhead, run the Rubicon, exit Rubicon Springs early Sunday (or waiting until Monday AM, since it will be a traffic jam getting up Cadillac Hill and out pretty much all day Sunday), drive through to Truckee to gas up and restock food/beer supplies en-route to the Fordyce trailhead. If we camped in Rubicon Springs Sunday and left Monday AM, we would not need to find another camp location prior to running Fordyce and could start the trail noon-ish Monday. If we run the trail Monday and Tuesday, we could drive back to load our trailers Tuesday, camp at the Loon Lake campground and begin the journey home Wednesday AM to be home by Saturday or Sunday.
My guestimate is this would require 2 full weeks: Saturday to Saturday.
I'm looking at this as possibly a once in a lifetime adventure and will be pushing hard on the home front to make this 2 trail plan happen.

The way to go is to not request it. Instead say we have a big group planning to come out from the East Coast. If Rubithon overlapped with Coalmine cruiser classic, it would greatly reduce participation. Particularly now there are Gotham Guys planning to go. Then we tell the CMCC dates and ask what the likelihood of that happening is, because it would be critical for our planning purposes. This way it’s not a request but they would be aware of the potential issue, and hopefully take it under consideration. I’m happy to reach out, if someone has an email and a name to contact.
As a long time event organizer, I can tell you that the amount of wheels that have to be in motion in order to pull off an event the size of Rubithon or Coal Mine or Cruise Moab will NOT be influenced in the least by those who can/can't attend.
The dates are set when the dates can be set, and that's that. Either you can make it or you can't.

I'm leaving this here as a feeler, I'll know more once dates can be set - hard to commit to anything prior as I'd be leaving the wife and kid at home.

- I'd almost definitely be a "ride-along" or passenger - I talked to Dick Thompson about coming out a while back and would still love to.
- I'd even consider shipping my truck out, but my no-bull**** assessment is that it sounds too expensive for me to pull off unless @Crusha scores a sick deal on a car carrier. I'd also need to get my H41 swapped in, a lift kit, and bigger tires in over the next year. I'm also not sure it's even physically possible for me to carry enough gas to feed my FJ40 in the wilderness for 4 days - I'd need to strap a 55 gallon drum to the roof...

I'm a distant maybe but will be keeping an eye on this for details.

It's really only 2 days of wheeling at a stretch.

The gas is a very minor issue compared to my stock lift height, 31" tires, and 28:1 crawl ratio... My only saving grace currently is the lunchbox locker in the rear...

Oh and money - the money to fix all that and then get my truck to California! Way easier to plop my ass on a plane and let someone else show me how it's done.

I'd love to make this trip, been a dream of mine since I was 14. I'd most likely ship my 80 out. Where would we be flying into?

Flying into Reno/Tahoe is probably the easiest and least expensive. I believe there are several airports here in the east offering non stop flights to Reno, including Harrisburg. Sacramento would be a viable option logistics-wise but would almost assuredly mean at least one connection between east coast and Sacramento. Driving time from the airport to trailhead is hard to say because traffic in the Tahoe basin can slow one down considerably. I'd guess about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from the airport to the turnoff point on route 50. When it's determined to what location the trucks will be delivered logistics can be intelligently addressed. Lots of points to discuss and research, thankfully the discussion is open early enough to allow ample time to iron things out.

I fly into Reno fairly often and usually fly BWI to Reno though Las Vegas on Southwest... lots of daily flights multiple times per day... and bags fly free if you’re bringing lots of camping gear 😂

I fly into Reno fairly often and usually fly BWI to Reno though Las Vegas on Southwest... lots of daily flights multiple times per day... and bags fly free if you’re bringing lots of camping gear 😂
Good point.

I think we should have shirts made for this trip...
Keystone and CLCC logos and something else.
I have at least two BBRC members commited. Tim M. plans to come out with a new build!

Also keep in mind Diesel is more than gasoline right now. I also figure about $0.75-1.00 more per gallon as you head west. Also figure in a oil change before and after the trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom