Rubicon trip report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I flew into Sacramento and was picked by Rick (Inverness on Mud) and headed up to the 'Con. We met up with few other NorCal guys and two rigs from Reno and started the fun on Friday. Good weather was had on Friday but rainy on Sat/Sun. Some said that the rain washed the talc powder off of rocks and helped with traction. All in all, it was a great trip. The 80's on 4" and 35" did great and Rick's 80 on 6" and 35" made sort work of everything.

The trail seems much easier than the last time I ran it. Some of the tougher spots are now wider. Cadillac hill was probably the toughest area in the whole trail IMO as Big Sluice is now easier.

There wasn't much carnage to speak of. Doug had a bent tie rod and the two nice 80s had very slight rock rash on the pass rear flares.

More writeup https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=179073

and http://tinyurl.com/ysx93l

----------------
Keith in the blue 60 did a fabulous job and Woody Griswold Blotch (and his welding) held up great. Keith has been wheeling for a little over a year!

I think it's safe to say that an 80 with Slee 4" and 35" can conquer this trail w/o any damage. Of course, careful spotting is always the key. First time for both of these blokes.

Doug is a pro with his 2" lift and 33" tires and he proved it once again.

Dan and his crawler box 40 makes me sick :flipoff2:

Jasper and Larry in the pristine 80 left with barely a scratch or two. I think Larry went straight to the Starbucks after Rubicon. :D

Rick in his 6" sprung 80 made short work of everything. He was amazed how well this suspension performed vs last year's run. I got to drive this rig and I was very impressed with the performance.

Brett in the Sage 60 is just an animal :eek: He has a crawler box too :flipoff2:

Julie is great :eek::eek::D and makes a mean grub. She's much fun to hang out with and has a great sense of humor - absolute requirement amidst bunch of stinky men!

Tony did great with his SAS 4Runner. The narrowness of his rig took some pressure off I'm sure. Congrats on his second baby coming soon to a hospital near Roseville.

Alvaro, Nial, Snook and myself were the passengers.

Thanks for a great time and allowing me to ride along.

I'll post up pics on this post and videos as I sort them out.

Keith Video

Doug's video

Dan's video

Rick Stinky water video

Ali driving Rick's 80

Rick Big Sluice

Inverness pics

Ali's pics

Larry's pics

Last edited:
Best quote on the video's:

"You didn't hit metal...it was only rust."

Great trip bro. Did you sleep in the bivy?
A true man would have. Even in the rain.

G

Ali -

Thanks for the report. Looks like it was a blast. Much less carnage than usual, it sounds like. Welcome back!

Evan

Best quote on the video's:

"You didn't hit metal...it was only rust."

Great trip bro. Did you sleep in the bivy?
A true man would have. Even in the rain.

G

Then I'm not a man....:crybaby:

I give up - what the hell's a bivy?!?

A tent without polls. More or less a sleeping bag cover.

Gracias!

Short for bivouac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom