Events/Trails Rubicon Trip Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I love wheeling and haven’t been around as much as some, but get around a little. I’ve been to the Rubicon (5) times now, three times in my 4runner and (2) in my LX450. Here is what I’ve learned. I’m sure that no matter what I post, someone will tell me I’m wrong, but you know what, so be it.

1) Lesson #1 – I love this trail and appreciate all the work that key groups do to maintain it so I tried to do my part. For every piece of trash I packed in, I took three pieces off the trail. That means if I drank a can of soda I picked up (3) crushed beer cans. The lesson? Don’t be a douche bag, keep good trails clean and we can keep using them.

2) Lesson #2 – You can get from one end to the other on 315’s and 75mm springs and no body damage, but you must have sliders and a bumper to soak up the hits. Also, in my experience, you are going to drag the control arm brackets over lots and lots of rocks.

3) Lesson #3 – Although we can fit these things through the trail without body damage, I cannot imagine how the heck you can get one through Old Sluice without getting banged up. Super fun, but not exactly as FJ80 friendly as the rest of the trail.

4) Lesson #4 – It is so satisfying to go to any trail, wheel, and then when your buddies are loading their rigs on their trailers, you just unlock the front hubs and drive home. Coincidentally, it is exactly 12 hours from my house to Buck Island, including airing up/down.

5) Next steps?

a. I need to decide whether I take all the trim off, bang out the dents the best I can and then raptor line the whole thing or if I try to fix the fender flares.

b. DOM drag link to replace the stock one.

c. I kicked myself all the way home for not moving the stupid AC dryer that I knew would get crushed sooner or later. Now I have to fix the AC and move the AC dryer.

d. Every exhaust hanger I had broke (all on Old Sluice), I tacked a few things back in place, but will move it to go over the frame to keep it from getting crushed again and again.

e. I know they make re-enforced buckets for the rear control arms on the 100 series, but I’ve never seen any for the 80. I’ll either find some or make some

Anyway, super stoked on the platform, amazingly comfortable, capable and just all around awesome.

Drag Link.jpg

Driver Dent.jpg

Not a lot of clearence.jpg

Old Sluice.jpg

Passenger Dent.jpg

Nice work man. Glad to see you putting it use. Vote no to monstaliner, rash looks good on it.

Next time you go, I'll roll up with you from SoCal.

Great post, man. The Rubicon is on my list of trails to hit up. Sounds like all the damage came from Sluice (I agree, if you got the rash, keep the rash).

How'd the Labs hold up? Any damage from it (specifically on the DS)?

Jack

A friend and ran Rubicon solo the same day you did but we started at about 9am and got to Tahoe around 6pm.

I spoke with @brosky the day before and learned of his dilema and was looking forward to meeting your group but the forecast of rain kept us moving on right past the springs and to a motel room in Tahoe.

The next day we ran Barrett Lake Trail in and out and then down the hill to Vacaville.

I’ve never had an 80 on old sluice and since we were alone I let that section wait for another time. I used to force my Dodge Ramcharger through there so I’m sure an 80 would go through easier.

Hey, chics dig body damage!! Sport it with pride.

@rockstate45 the biggest issue was that I was on top of a pretty big rock and slipped off, the impact pushed the 4xlabs bumper in a bit, but not much. Also to be far it was the full weight of the truck + motion on the furthest front and top point of the bumper.

On another note, I found why my AC failed, the short tube on top of the AC dryer broke. Does anybody know if that is the pressure side or the low pressure side, need to order a new one.

@baldilocks Sorry we missed you, the rain the first night was cool, since I was sleeping in the truck:) Yeah, I was really bummed that @brosky couldn't make it.

How was Barrett Lake, that is the one off Cadillac Hill that just opened up, correct?

Barrett Lake Trail is off Wrights road about 8 or 9 miles from highway 50. You would drive past Ice House road going east on 50 another 10 miles or there about then turn left on Wrights road which leads up to Wrights lake and right on by to the trail gate.

The trail is tightly controled and will probably be closed as soon as it snows or gets wet enough and opens up again usually in July depending on dryness of the soil.

Saturday was the best trip over Barrett I ever had bc is was cool and not dusty. That trail gets super dusty in later summer.

It’s one way about 4.5 miles, IIRC, to Barrett lake. It’s a tight trail but can be done with less carnage than old sluice.

Hope to go to Johnson Valley with you guys some day. But more immediately I want to run the Dusy Ershim with a couple good rigs piloted by seasoned drivers. Does anyone come to mind? ;)

Well, the Dusy will be closing down soon too, so probably next year, unless I can be coaxed into a run sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom