CANCELED- Rubicon Trail -Sept 7th 2020 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

An 80 on the other hand...

So I get it that we do not the exact dates but what kind of time frame are we looking at ? Amount of days away from home, three day drive out- wheel for 3,4,5 ? Then three day ride home ? Just a guess at this point but I’m sure you guys have an idea in your head of how long you will be gone

I am looking to leave am on monday, get there wed. wheel till sunday, drive home or Fordyce, not sure yet. So two hard days out switching drivers, two days back. Towing a 30' gooseneck. ~2700 miles each way. Red Bull and Gummi Bears is where it is at!

What do you guys think of using a 100 with 2.5" lift and 34"s with skids/bumpers/sliders? The requirements say 2.5" lift and 33"s but also front and rear lockers, which I don't have. I do have ATRAC and center locking diff.
Why wouldn’t a built 100 be able to do it? Too big?

I'm totally interested in this. I am driving out to Carson valley Nevada for school/work September 2020 and I have been planning on doing the Rubicon while I am out there. I start work September 14th and am planning to leave Philadelphia on the 4th or 5th, so I will have roughly 10 days to do the drive and complete the Rubicon before starting work.
@surfishjoe was considering doing the drive in his taco with me also. If anyone else wants to caravan that would be great. I am still considering the option to ship my truck out, but for the money I would rather get the road trip experience also.

Hopefully the club date falls within my strict timeline!

What do you guys think of using a 100 with 2.5" lift and 34"s with skids/bumpers/sliders? The requirements say 2.5" lift and 33"s but also front and rear lockers, which I don't have. I do have ATRAC and center locking diff.

Doable.... we have ample experience bringing 100 series through with little to no damage. I would highly recommend a rear locker at the minimum or you are going to be getting out and winching an awful lot.

Of course, a lot depends on the driver and comfort level. I do recommend that you know how to wrench on your truck if anything goes south. No one is going to turn wrenches for you on the Con. Bring spares of critical components that will leave you dead in the water if broken (think front IFS components, rear driveshaft, etc.).

I'd contact @slimbuddha (Ron L.) from ABQ. He brought his 100 through with no issues in 2018. That said, he's been wheeling for quite a number of years and had his 100 set-up well for the trail.

Last edited:
Some idea of the trail... In 2018 I flew out and ran it with @FJ40Jim in Sully's 40 (Peaches) and Sully drove his HZJ79.

F84D9C7A-DC47-4B51-8577-FECB79EC2F6E.jpeg
317B98DB-32C3-46A1-9F8A-C25FDE762B74.jpeg
215786EF-9D75-4EC9-BAAE-D4B0BAE1C5C5.jpeg
5ADDACFA-F3F0-4014-A59E-A4C33517C558_1_201_a.jpeg
60F1F9EA-EB3E-42F3-A09F-34828D4D9214_1_201_a.jpeg

Yup. They ran in 2016 and 2018.
So if an FJC can make it, especially with Joe driving...
Are there bypasses that these guys took?
I really don't know anything about this trail other than some pictures.

So if an FJC can make it, especially with Joe driving...
Are there bypasses that these guys took?
I really don't know anything about this trail other than some pictures.

There are little to no by-passes. It is what it is kind of thing.

I'm so confused.
I've seen some pretty big rocks and "fat girl" pinch points. But they made it through pulling a trailer?

This has been on my list for quite some time, and the round trip drive doesn't phase me at all.
Trying to rope in @woytovich for some comic relief. Maybe Nick Pearl if he stays on his meds.

I'm so confused.
I've seen some pretty big rocks and "fat girl" pinch points. But they made it through pulling a trailer?

This has been on my list for quite some time, and the round trip drive doesn't phase me at all.
Trying to rope in @woytovich for some comic relief. Maybe Nick Pearl if he stays on his meds.

Yup. Gotta snake your way through all of those. Brian did it. Not pretty. But he made it through. He decided NOT to bring the trailer in 2018. :lol:

Doable.... we have ample experience bringing 100 series through with little to no damage. I would highly recommend a rear locker at the minimum or you are going to be getting out and winching an awful lot.

Of course, a lot depends on the driver and comfort level. I do recommend that you know how to wrench on your truck if anything goes south. No one is going to turn wrenches for you on the Con. Bring spares of critical components that will leave you dead in the water if broken (think front IFS components, rear driveshaft, etc.).

I'd contact @slimbuddha (Ron L.) from ABQ. He brought his 100 through with no issues in 2018. That said, he's been wheeling for quite a number of years and had his 100 set-up well for the trail.

Here is a post I made in the 100 series section that details my build, and extra's I brought along, and the carnage I had. I made it through thanks to the great spotting I had, and patience. That said, I was in the back of the pack, and used my lockers frequently. There are many places I could probably have made it through without them, but after a little slip, I would activate them in order to the wagon train rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom