CANCELED- Rubicon Trail -Sept 7th 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good thread. Can I go? I will get home from Alaska 9/11 and I love starting the trail on Monday. You'll have 2-3 days of empty trail. Good weather extremely likely. It's surreal. In fact, there is an awesome camp just beyond the start I'd recommend for Sunday night.

Get it in your head now that Fordyce may not be possible even in September and especially if you have full size rigs along. Fordyce was a serious challenge in my 40. That first water crossing is deep and dangerous. For me Fordyce is interesting as opposed to fun. But I would not run Fordyce in a truck I planned to drive home to the East coast.

I highly recommend you not rush through this. Can you do it in 3 days? Sure. But if I were you, I'd spend at least 1 full day of down time at Buck Island, and another in Rubicon Springs. This is not a casual recommendation and will increase the fun factor of your vacation.

I saw someone posting about a 100 series. It's definitely possible. But it comes with a whole level of front end risk that you may not want if you want to drive home. I've seen it done twice. Many, many stacked rocks. And lockers basically mandatory.

Group size-40s and Minis travel faster than wagons. Not a huge deal and I've run in mixed company for years. Definitely put the diesel(s) on the rear of the train. They are mind bendingly loud in the quiet of the Rubicon. 80s do well on the Rubicon for some reason, don't hesitate to bring one. Mine's gone through several times on a 4 inch lift and 35s. Probably best to travel as a group so no one gets lost. (Easy, especially out on the slabs)

You probably realize that you won't have cell coverage and there's no one to call for help anyway.

Everyone got a ham radio?

If I can go with, I'll put it on the schedule now. I saw @Onur on the thread-If you want to fly and ride, I've got a seat for you.

And if anyone wants to fly out here and buy my 40 to do the Rubicon with, we can talk.

Good write up. :clap:

:) Thanks Andy. Let’s see if I get the go ahead from @CatskillsRunner... if so, I’m in.

I can do the usual ship my gear and fly to SMF.

Last edited:
Good write up. :clap:

:) Thanks Andy. Let’s see if I get the go ahead from @CatskillsRunner... if so, I’m in.

I can do the usual ship my gear and fly to SMF.

Of course!

Does this mean the 70 stays home so I can drive it while you're gone?

Good thread. Can I go? I will get home from Alaska 9/11 and I love starting the trail on Monday. You'll have 2-3 days of empty trail. Good weather extremely likely. It's surreal. In fact, there is an awesome camp just beyond the start I'd recommend for Sunday night.

Get it in your head now that Fordyce may not be possible even in September and especially if you have full size rigs along. Fordyce was a serious challenge in my 40. That first water crossing is deep and dangerous. For me Fordyce is interesting as opposed to fun. But I would not run Fordyce in a truck I planned to drive home to the East coast.

I highly recommend you not rush through this. Can you do it in 3 days? Sure. But if I were you, I'd spend at least 1 full day of down time at Buck Island, and another in Rubicon Springs. This is not a casual recommendation and will increase the fun factor of your vacation.

I saw someone posting about a 100 series. It's definitely possible. But it comes with a whole level of front end risk that you may not want if you want to drive home. I've seen it done twice. Many, many stacked rocks. And lockers basically mandatory.

Group size-40s and Minis travel faster than wagons. Not a huge deal and I've run in mixed company for years. Definitely put the diesel(s) on the rear of the train. They are mind bendingly loud in the quiet of the Rubicon. 80s do well on the Rubicon for some reason, don't hesitate to bring one. Mine's gone through several times on a 4 inch lift and 35s. Probably best to travel as a group so no one gets lost. (Easy, especially out on the slabs)

You probably realize that you won't have cell coverage and there's no one to call for help anyway.

Everyone got a ham radio?

If I can go with, I'll put it on the schedule now. I saw @Onur on the thread-If you want to fly and ride, I've got a seat for you.

And if anyone wants to fly out here and buy my 40 to do the Rubicon with, we can talk.

You're hired!
Are you going to crush my dream of climbing Everest and K2 in the same week? How about some other worth while trails that are an option...

What about Dusy Ershim as an alternate? In for a penny, as they say.

Two of the best videos i've found so far that show the challenges of Fordyce.

Last edited:
For communication, most of us have ham. I’ll have my Delorme InReach for up to date weather, any emergency, and also to give to family members for texting, etc.

Dusy would be a great experience. It’s a days drive south but worthwhile. Watch the weather and any hint of a cold front don’t go.

I need to be picking grapes that Saturday so I need to complete the trail by Friday. But Monday to Friday is a nice pace. BTW no drinking alcohol on the trail. In camp, engines off, feel free.

I keep hearing rumors that Rubithon will move to August. I hope not because I’d rather run Dusy mid August. Don’t know if that changes your planning.

@Cruiserdrew since we were speaking of tires, (okay, we weren't), here in the Northeast swampers and the like seem to be typical. From what I've seen in videos of the Rubicon and Moab for that matter all terrains seem to be more popular. Thoughts?

Any load rage E will work. Swampers not needed. MTs ATs all will work. It should be very dry. I’ll likely be on ST Maxx

@Cruiserdrew since we were speaking of tires, (okay, we weren't), here in the Northeast swampers and the like seem to be typical. From what I've seen in videos of the Rubicon and Moab for that matter all terrains seem to be more popular. Thoughts?

Seems like a perfect opportunity to add a set of stickies to your arsenal... :worms:

For communication, most of us have ham. I’ll have my Delorme InReach for up to date weather, any emergency, and also to give to family members for texting, etc.
I also will have my garmin inReach with me...has proven to be useful.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.... she would actually like it witha smaller group vs Rubithon size.

discussions begun. :)

I can see that going over really well with my principal: say, I know I've worked a whole three days this year, but I'm gonna need to go ahead and take a full week off. 🙃

Someday. Looking forward to the pics and stories!

Happy Thanksgiving... It's the perfect time to contemplate those items you will need for the trip out West that you can pick up during the Black Friday deals.

Happy Thanksgiving... It's the perfect time to contemplate those items you will need for the trip out West that you can pick up during the Black Friday deals.
Already ahead of you! Figure I have 8 months to finish the build and have it "rubicon" ready. Either that or just go get one of those stickers off a Jeep!

I think I missed what you were driving at. Swampers will be fine, just air them down. I do the Rubicon on "normal" tires. And air down to 15 ish. Swampers if bias ply may need to air down much lower. I would not buy new tires to do Rubicon. It's a great trail but not crazy hard. It's just normal hard. And it's dry(mostly). I've run it on various MTs and ATs and they are fine. But you want good side wall strength. Don't over think it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom