Rubicon May 2016? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife and I are throwing around the idea of heading down to California in May to visit her cousin who lives in Sacramento, and while we're down there I thought, let's check out this famous Rubicon trail. I've been watching some youtube videos and reading some articles and trip reports online, and it's somewhat unclear as to exactly HOW hard the trail really is. Some say it's hardcore, some say it's doable in a Subaru as long as you don't care about body damage. Some say it's as hard as you want it to be because nearly every major obstacle has an optional bypass. I have a 2004 Taco XtraCab with the e-locker in the back, OME 2.5" lift, 33" tires, rock sliders, and aftermarket bumpers. I've been four wheeling in British Columbia for about 10 years, so I wouldn't consider my experience level "noobish". I'm not opposed to body damage IF it happens but I'm not trying to wreck my truck either. It is already dented, scratched, and spraypainted, but I'm more worried about blowing a CV or something like that on the trail and not being able to make it home on time....but if people are doing it in Jeeps I should have nothing to worry about right?
biggrin.gif

Here's a photo of the truck in question, for those of you who have no idea what a Taco on 33's looks like
biggrin.gif

1011499_10151783268380751_524982780_n.jpg

Also wondering if the trail is passable that early in the year. In Canada not much is snow-free in May, but California's quite a bit further south so I'm not sure what it would be like. What's a rough average temperature that time of year?

And one last question: how many days should I count on for doing the trail?

Thanks

the facebook page for the trail has a few photos of the snow levels still.
pretty deep from the Tahoe side down to the springs. Took a huge rig 9 hours just to get to Observation Point.

You could do the run, but you need a front locker; and rear drop offs are every 100 feet it seems. You will crush the corners. (might want to add a slider from the rear fender back to the bumper)

BUT, you will love it, and it's beautiful, and fun.
Go with someone, there's no cell service, no easy way out, it's 17 miles to Loon Lake from the Tahoe side.
Weather can change and does hourly. We go in June and it gets to the 30's at night still.

three days minimum...

from Tahoe: one day to Springs, second day to Buck Lake, Third day out to Loon.
Sure guys have been known to race thru, but why?

Hey, thanks for the great advice. I also asked around a bit on TTORA.com and most of the feedback was similar to yours- A) it's most likely too early in the year and B) my truck needs bigger tires, a front locker, more armour, etc. Decided to back down from this one and play it safe. Not sure where we're going to go now, any recommendations for something along the same lines but not quite so gnarly?

Is your destination Tahoe? lots of great camping...
oh, and they just got 18" of snow this weekend...

Hey, thanks for the great advice. I also asked around a bit on TTORA.com and most of the feedback was similar to yours- A) it's most likely too early in the year and B) my truck needs bigger tires, a front locker, more armour, etc. Decided to back down from this one and play it safe. Not sure where we're going to go now, any recommendations for something along the same lines but not quite so gnarly?
Swamp lake, Bald Mountain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom