Rubicon July 15-16 2006 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Trail: Rubicon Trail leader: Shawn

The most famous 4WD trail of all. There’ll be a group of us going up to Wentworth Springs campground on Friday to camp.

Date: Saturday, July 15-16th 2006

Meeting Time: N/A Leave Time: 8:00 am

Meeting Location:
Wentworth Springs campground

Trail Difficulty:
Mostly 4

Additional Equipment needed: Extra food, gas, and water. This is an overnight trip so be prepared with your camping gear.

Duration of Run:
Two days.

Tread Lightly / CB Channel 3

BBCNN

Possiable change of meet location.

A few of the guys that have commited to the trip suggested we change the start location from Wentworth to the Tahoma Staging area.
We will make a decision at the meeting Tuesday night.

We decided to stick with the original meet place/time at the meeting.

X2 on the write up and the pics!
Cant wait to hear about it

Chicago

Another great trip. A couple of exciting moments but no breakage. Camping at Buck Island is probably a thing of the past for our group.
We had a chat with the Eldorado Sherifs, motor travel is now restriced to 25' on each side of the trail except for the Little Sluice by pass and access to Spyder Lake.

I didn't even get my camera out of my bag. To busy hanging on and, when I could, spotting. I'm getting a little better at spotting.;)

I guess I could give a little more detail.
Mike and I met up with Shawn and his friend Scott at the turn off to Wentworth Springs on Friday afternoon. They were only about 15 minutes behind us. We made our way to the campground and set up camp then went for a little ride. We wheeled up to the Y with the Loon Lake access. The trail is pretty random up there on the granite so we took a few side trips. We made it back to camp just before dark. Everybody but me ate some kind of freeze dried stuff or MRE. I had fish Tacos with black beans, avacado and sour cream.

Saturday we got a good start around 9:00am. The trip to Little sluice was pretty much un-eventful. The trail was almost empty except for one big group we passed at Ellis creek. They looked like it would be a while before they hit the trail, we never saw any of them except for one group of three Jeeps. After a little excitment at Little Sluice we made it to the top, taking the route to the right of the tough part. BY this time it was getting late so we took the route over the Slabs down to Buck Island Lake. We went most of the way with no trouble but got stuck behind a broken Bronco just before the intersection between the by-pass and the main trail. Rigs were pretty much lining the trail around Buck Island Lake, the 25' rule had everybody right next to the trail. Around this time Rick got in touch bt CB. He had come in earlier in the day via the Tahoma staging area and already had camp set up on the far end of the lake. We found a spot not to far from him and hauled our stuff down from what ever parking we could find close to the trail. Swimming in the lake was great after a long hot day on the trail. Again everybody ate packaged stuff except me. I had Turkey Sausage with some grilled onions and peppers. I tried some grilled eggplant trhat I had vacuum sealed the day before but it didn't turn out well. Vacuum sealing had sucked all the water out of it and it never really cooked.

Sunday we had an uneventful trip to the springs where we stopped for lunch and some general mucking about in the creek. We wound up getting back on the trail behind two Jeeps with Adventure trailers. They were doing fine until we ran into a group with a broken Cheroke stuck on the trail. He was in 2WD and it looked like he was getting stuck every few feet. There was a baypass around them, the Jeeps made the bypass OK but started having trouble at the first switchback on Cadillac Hill. I think the one in the lead was new to trailers in general, he jacknifed his a couple of times trying to make the turn. The second did a lot better. I was pretty impressed with the way the hitch is set up and the articulation the trailers got. Shaw had a little trouble with his started solinoid a couple of times, probably from the dunking at the springs, but other than that ythe rest of the trip was uneventful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom