Rubber Squeaking in Front Axle/Tire Area and Now Burning Smell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Land Speeder

InstaH8R
Threads
For about 6 months now I've had a squeaking sound coming from what appears to be my front driver wheel well. It sounds like rubber against something... a squeak. As I accelerate it gets faster until road noise drowns it, as I slow the sound slows until it stops when the truck stops. Makes it seem like the sound is in the driveline or something rubbing the driveline huh. This sound is NOT always present as it comes and goes which is why I haven't fixed it but now it's present alot more.
I've visually checked countless times and nothing is touching the tire, wheel or caliper. I've since changed the brake pads as well, nothing odd there. Nothing appears to be rubbing on the outside. I've checked the wheel bearings looseness too, their good.
Here's where it gets fun...
Since last night when I get out of the truck after a drive I smell burnt rubber (know how a house vacuum can burn it's belt? exactly like that). Pretty nasty smell.

WHAT COULD THIS BE? Is this something in my axle? What? What is rubber and squeaking and now even burning?

How about a belt? There are belts right there inside the engine bay...if you have removed the rubber panels from the wheel well it could sounds like it is coming from there.

Dang man. what a fast response.

I put that rubber panel back on a few months back... I'm going out to check it right now... it might be that!

I bet that rubber panel hits at full lock or something, lol

Just checked... Rubber panels not hitting anything, on either side. They had no marks either. No belts on the driver either, pretty much steering box and and exhaust pipes that's it (3FE).
I ruled out belts due to the nature of the noise... noise stopping when the truck stops.

hmm, is your bearing retaining nut too tight? Could be the bearings eating themselves?

I hope you're NOT right!
How do you check to see if your bearings are TOO tight? I've always followed the FSM when breaking down the axles, always using the pull gauge thingy to thighten the bearings.

Tools R Us said:
Did you grease the hub seals?

geez. I can't remember. It's been a year since I even opened up the axle that far when I replaced the rotors. Honestly, I usually do put a little grease on the seals... this bad?

Land Speeder said:
geez. I can't remember. It's been a year since I even opened up the axle that far when I replaced the rotors. Honestly, I usually do put a little grease on the seals... this bad?

Greasing them is good, I have seen dry seals squeel, but a year is a long time for one to squeak. Maybe brake pads, caliper hanging?

Burning rubber smell? Squeeking?

Possible drive belt idler trying to seize maybe?

cruiserdan said:
Burning rubber smell? Squeeking?

Possible drive belt idler trying to seize maybe?

Would this only squeak while the driveline is turning? and stop when not rolling?

I'm heading out to the vehicle to locate this on the 3FE right now...

Last edited:
Jack up the front axel. Spin that side by hand and listen for the squeek.
check the hub for wobble or slop. Pull the wheel check the caliper and rotor for odd wear pattern. Pull caliper, rotor and hub inspect everything repack bearings and reassemble. Piece of cake should only take 15 Minuets.:flipoff2:

BGarcia88FJ62 said:
Piece of cake should only take 15 Minuets.:flipoff2:

HaHaHaHa

What are you doing over here in the 80 series board? Go back to your hole!

Seriuosly, the last time I had the hub off, was the day you stopped by when I was replacing my rotors. Remember that hot-as-hell day?
I've since replaced my brake pads again. and have checked for loose bearings, all that's OK.
It's raining here so when it stops, I'm going to hunt for this drive belt idler thing.

Yea, just breakin balls. Check your belt for wear, check the idler for free spinning or scortching if the bearings are seizing. Happend on the 62 basically just a pain in the ass. Later.

Just for the fun of it, would you look carefully at your snubs ? I'm not sure what you would call them, ( maybe bumpstops ) they are inside your springs on the front. It's possible that they have been moved and are no longer centered inside the springs and if so, will sometimes cause a squeeling when turning or if the wheel is moving up and down while executing a turn.

Look for signs of wear or rubbing on the snubs where they lean closest to the springs.

Kalawang

Kalawang said:
Just for the fun of it, would you look carefully at your snubs ? I'm not sure what you would call them, ( maybe bumpstops ) they are inside your springs on the front. It's possible that they have been moved and are no longer centered inside the springs and if so, will sometimes cause a squeeling when turning or if the wheel is moving up and down while executing a turn.

Look for signs of wear or rubbing on the snubs where they lean closest to the springs.

Kalawang

hmm, I'll check this...

landtank said:
I've had belts slip on tires that made a squeeking noise. You haven't been running them low on air over rough terrain have you?

No belts close to that tire. I only hear it on pavement and i run 40psi on pavement

BGarcia88FJ62 said:
Check your belt for wear, check the idler for free spinning or scortching if the bearings are seizing. Happend on the 62 basically just a pain in the ass. Later.

I'm dumb, so you have to help me here...
My belts are still spinning at a stop, does my idlers or pulleys stop?

also just to clarify... it's a squeaking sound, not a squealing. Squeaking, like a dog slobbering all over a kong toy.

accelerating:
squeak...............squeak..............squeak..........squeak...... squeak....squeak....squeak... squeak ....squeak squeak squeaksqueaksqueaksqueak (until road noise drowns it)

decelerating:
squeaksqueaksqueaksqueak........squeak.......squeak.....squeak........squeak..........squeak................squeak................squeak.....................squeak........................squeak................. squeak (until stop, almost in sequence with the revolution of the tire)

Do you think I have a wet dog toy in my tire?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom