Rubber Overdrive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been hearing the term "rubber overdrive" when talking about bigger tires. I have a 60 with stock gears and 33's. What kind of actual speed increase would i see when my speedo says 55mph (how fast am i going)

It's incremental the faster you go. I have the exact same set-up as you and I used my GPS to see how fast I was going:

25 = 32*
35 = 43*
50 = 58*
60 = 68-69*

*The damn needle bounces around so much it's hard to nail it down exactly.

Cheers
Matt

About 12-13%, so around 62mph? With 31's I am right at 10% over shown speed according to the GPS.

meluhha said:
It's incremental the faster you go. I have the exact same set-up as you and I used my GPS to see how fast I was going:

25 = 32*
35 = 43*
50 = 58*
60 = 68-69*

*The damn needle bounces around so much it's hard to nail it down exactly.

Cheers
Matt
i am such a dope...GPS - duh....

That makes perfect sense......damn i'm slow.

Running 32's.....stock gears..... 70mph shows 63 on spedo, and about 2700rpms. Never driven it any faster than that. Was being paced by a police car (friend) with certified calibrated spedo.

I find that to be a huge annoyance. I like to calculate how much fuel I am using and how much I will need. Where would one buy a corrective speedo, or something that will fix the problem?

:beer:

GLTHFJ60 said:
I find that to be a huge annoyance. I like to calculate how much fuel I am using and how much I will need. Where would one buy a corrective speedo, or something that will fix the problem?

Once I get tires bigger than my current 31's I will get a fix from these guys:

www.speedometershop.com

With the H55F and the stock 4.11 gearing in my FJ62, I run high on the RPM's. I want to go to 33's ASAP but stay with the stock rims because I have 6 of them and mini-truck calipers. I do not have time to fool with backspacing or spacer issues.

Here is the part where I hijack the thread to save myself the flames of starting a new tire thread: WTF tires do I buy? 3 kids in diapers will keep me mostly on road for the next couple of years but I drive to the frozen or muddy-rocky (depending on the season) shores of Lake Superior a couple of times a year and Katemcey is just an hour from my lake house in Texas.

I have a 2.5" Dobinsons suspension that has zero sag, can I clear 34's in an AT radial? I know LTB's will rip off the mud flaps and clearance the fenders a bit but that would not be my on road tire choice. I am running 31 BFG AT's now and would buy the Goodyear MTR's if they came in 33"X10.5" width to fit my stock rims. I hear that BFG's are a bit shorter than spec, like 32.5" vs 33". I got lots of power for a 3FE and low end is no prob with the H55F so I need rubber regear to drop my RPM's at my usual cruise of just under 80mph.

I do not really want to run 9.5's like pimp and a few others. Lots of folks love the BFG's but I have heard that the sidewalls are vulnerable to sharp rocks.

Dunbar

GLTHFJ60 said:

so here is a question...

Say you are running 33's MT's. You have to figure that you have a good 2inches of tread on the tire. Once you wear down your tread you will actually be running 31's and your speedo will be off once again...
So instead of investing $$ in recalabrating your speedo, why dont you just figure it out in your head and spend the dosh on somthing else?

Dunbar said:
Once I get tires bigger than my current 31's I will get a fix from these guys:

www.speedometershop.com

With the H55F and the stock 4.11 gearing in my FJ62, I run high on the RPM's. I want to go to 33's ASAP but stay with the stock rims because I have 6 of them and mini-truck calipers. I do not have time to fool with backspacing or spacer issues.

Here is the part where I hijack the thread to save myself the flames of starting a new tire thread: WTF tires do I buy? 3 kids in diapers will keep me mostly on road for the next couple of years but I drive to the frozen or muddy-rocky (depending on the season) shores of Lake Superior a couple of times a year and Katemcey is just an hour from my lake house in Texas.

I have a 2.5" Dobinsons suspension that has zero sag, can I clear 34's in an AT radial? I know LTB's will rip off the mud flaps and clearance the fenders a bit but that would not be my on road tire choice. I am running 31 BFG AT's now and would buy the Goodyear MTR's if they came in 33"X10.5" width to fit my stock rims. I hear that BFG's are a bit shorter than spec, like 32.5" vs 33". I got lots of power for a 3FE and low end is no prob with the H55F so I need rubber regear to drop my RPM's at my usual cruise of just under 80mph.

I do not really want to run 9.5's like pimp and a few others. Lots of folks love the BFG's but I have heard that the sidewalls are vulnerable to sharp rocks.

Dunbar
I am assuming that $$ is an issue due to the three chitlins in diapers. Dunlop has some decent MT tires that are a good price (cheaper than BFG)

Also check out Maxxis tires, very hapy with them here!

An added benifit..........if you speedo is slow, your odometer is slow. with 33's you may only register 90 of so miles for every 100.

3puttcop said:
Also check out Maxxis tires, very hapy with them here!

An added benifit..........if you speedo is slow, your odometer is slow. with 33's you may only register 90 of so miles for every 100.
bonus!!!!

Dunbar said:
... I am running 31 BFG AT's now and would buy the Goodyear MTR's if they came in 33"X10.5" width to fit my stock rims. I hear that BFG's are a bit shorter than spec, like 32.5" vs 33". I got lots of power for a 3FE and low end is no prob with the H55F so I need rubber regear to drop my RPM's at my usual cruise of just under 80mph.

I love the 31" MT/Rs that I am running, and would like to go to 33's, but 10.50, not 12.50. Too much tire on the road. I think that BFG MTs are the only aggressive radial by a name US maker that offers the 33X10.50 size, tho.' Dunlop has a tire in this size, I think.

Are the BFG MT's noisy on the highway? Anybody?

M

I run the 33 x 10.5 BFG MTkm's and I love them. They were surprisingly quiet for the first 1000 mi or so. Now they rumble pretty good. By the way, I used Man-A-fre add-a-leaves(f&r) and CCOT(r only) shackles to clear them. I started w/ pretty sacked out stock springs. My 298K mi 2F pulls them around w/ stock gearing pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom