Rubber boot between heater blower motor and vent ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the name of the Rubber boot between heater blower motor and exterior passenger fender vent that allows you to pull fresh air from the outside ?

Right now, the boot / duct is missing and I'm just pulling air from the inner engine bay.

Who sells them or do I just fab own ?

THanks,
Mike

or you find a good used one. PM if interested.

or you find a good used one. PM if interested.
Measure the outside diameter. Go to a tire shop that services industrial accounts. Ask to look at tubes for small tires and buy one with approximately the same outside diameter when deflated. Cut to fit. Hopefully you have the original square clamps.
Worked for me. I'll check my parts stash and see if I still have the tube. If so I'll post the size.

A guy was making vinyl versions of this piece and the piece that goes from the blower to the heater box. I might have one in the garage. If I can find it, it's yours.

Hopefully you have the original square clamps.

clamps? not on the 1 I took off, no signs it ever had clamps on it, it is a nice snug fit. it isn't straight, it has a dogleg in it.

Any one have pics of this?

if I can't find it on my computer, I'll take some on Tuesday. this is the 1 in the engine compartment not the one under the dash.

P6230011.JPG

here are some pics of it removed

DSCF1074.JPG

DSCF1075.JPG

DSCF1076.JPG

Thanks to all !
Nice Photo of what it should look like.

I was also having a difficult time finding the boot so I decided to delete the rubber boot entirely and replaced it with a custom wind tunnel. I am really happy with the results. Anyone with a little bit of time could do this as well. Here's how I solved this problem in my 69' 55.
20200121_160713.jpg

The old boot was nonexistent. I searched the web for a replacement but didn't have any luck. SOR had one for a 40 series and I'm not sure if it would have fit. Even so, I was more interested in finding the alternative.
I began by measuring the gap (front, back, side to side) then I pulled the unit out and took it to the shop.
20200121_161418.jpg

When measuring the gap from front to back I determined that I would need move the blower forward about 1/2". I would need to make some kind of spacer to put between the firewall and the blower. I found a piece of 1/2" UHMW (Ultra-High-Molecular-Weight) Polyurethane. which is basically a really hard plastic material but is also easy to work with. I pulled the original rubber gasket to use it as a template.
20200122_100936.jpg

20200122_101457.jpg

Once I had my shape I just cut it out using a drill and a jigsaw
20200122_105658.jpg

Once the spacer was cut and I was confident that it would be a good fit I took the blower and motor to the media-blaster.
I was also having a difficult time finding the boot so I decided to delete the rubber boot entirely and replaced it with a custom wind tunnel. I am really happy with the results. Anyone with a little bit of time could do this as well. Here's how I solved this problem in my 69' 55.View attachment 2197398
The old boot was nonexistent. I searched the web for a replacement but didn't have any luck. SOR had one for a 40 series and I'm not sure if it would have fit. Even so, I was more interested in finding the alternative.
I began by measuring the gap (front, back, side to side) then I pulled the unit out and took it to the shop.
View attachment 2197400
When measuring the gap from front to back I determined that I would need move the blower forward about 1/2". I would need to make some kind of spacer to put between the firewall and the blower. I found a piece of 1/2" UHMW (Ultra-High-Molecular-Weight) Polyurethane. which is basically a really hard plastic material but is also easy to work with. I pulled the original rubber gasket to use it as a template.
View attachment 2197409
View attachment 2197414
Once I had my shape I just cut it out using a drill and a jigsaw
View attachment 2197416
Once the spacer was cut and I was confident that it would be a good fit I took the blower and motor to the media-blaster.
20200122_114615.jpg

20200123_111321.jpg
20200123_124235.jpg

After I had it all cleaned up a bit I decided that I wanted to replace the screen that sits on the blower. I took the old screen and simply traced it out onto some material that we've had laying around. It was the perfect choice.
20200123_130409.jpg

Next was to add a hole for the wind gate cable.
20200123_133402.jpg

View attachment 2197422
View attachment 2197423View attachment 2197425
After I had it all cleaned up a bit I decided that I wanted to replace the screen that sits on the blower. I took the old screen and simply traced it out onto some material that we've had laying around. It was the perfect choice.
View attachment 2197433
Next was to add a hole for the wind gate cable.
View attachment 2197434
20200123_134230.jpg

It was now time to begin constructing the wind tunnel. I took some really thin mild steel, I think schedule 22, maybe?. I'm sure tin would have worked well also. And I began cutting my pieces.
20200128_125014.jpg

Using only a vice and my hand I then started shaping them.
20200128_125615.jpg

I basically made four pieces, one for the top and one for the bottom along with two sides. It took a bit of trial and error but really was not too difficult. Just worked until ending up with a good fit before tacking things together with a welder. Keep in mind that the blower, the wind tunnel and the sidewall mount are not welded together. The wind tunnel slides over the blower and the sidewall mount.
20200128_134509.jpg

Somewhere leading up to this point I damaged my resistor. I found another online and purchased it from MOUSER Electronics. Their P/N is 588-L50J1R0E (Ohmlite Wirewound Resistor). I think it was about $9. Plus a few bucks for shipping. It is a little longer than the OEM so I had to do a little modification with the mounting. All I did was took a drill and carefully drilled out the mount that wanted to move. I was sure not to drill all of the was through. Just enough to get the mount to come off with a pair of pliers. The I moved it to were It would accommodate the new resistor and tacked it on with my welder.
20200128_135901.jpg

View attachment 2197437
It was now time to begin constructing the wind tunnel. I took some really thin mild steel, I think schedule 22, maybe?. I'm sure tin would have worked well also. And I began cutting my pieces.
View attachment 2197440
Using only a vice and my hand I then started shaping them.
View attachment 2197442
I basically made four pieces, one for the top and one for the bottom along with two sides. It took a bit of trial and error but really was not too difficult. Just worked until ending up with a good fit before tacking things together with a welder. Keep in mind that the blower, the wind tunnel and the sidewall mount are not welded together. The wind tunnel slides over the blower and the sidewall mount.
View attachment 2197451
Somewhere leading up to this point I damaged my resistor. I found another online and purchased it from MOUSER Electronics. Their P/N is 588-L50J1R0E (Ohmlite Wirewound Resistor). I think it was about $9. Plus a few bucks for shipping. It is a little longer than the OEM so I had to do a little modification with the mounting. All I did was took a drill and carefully drilled out the mount that wanted to move. I was sure not to drill all of the was through. Just enough to get the mount to come off with a pair of pliers. The I moved it to were It would accommodate the new resistor and tacked it on with my welder.
View attachment 2197464
With the resistor mounts now in a useful place I began to paint.
20200128_140039.jpg

20200128_141646.jpg

20200130_101011.jpg
20200129_050416.jpg

20200130_161946.jpg

Now, I keep calling it a "wind tunnel" but all it really is is a metal sleeve. It is not permanently attached to anything at this point. The side mount is, and the blower is but all that the wind tunnel is doing is just bridging the gap between the two. I will more than likely secure it later with a sheet metal screw or a rivet. I will be pulling it out very soon so that I can pain the engine bay. Overall this was a fairly easy modification that I am really happy with.

I believe I can speak for the entire sty here and inform you that we are going to need a proper thread with lots of pictures of said “69’ 55”.

Good job on the blower motor!
Right on! Thanks J Mack. I've already done a few things on the 69' 55 that have not been very well documented. Such as OME suspension, birfields, front diff, brakes, steering box refresh, and rear window (motor & wiring), etc... i feel that all of those things have been pretty well covered by others in the Mud community. But I do still have LOTS to do on my 55 so, yeah, maybe I will start a thread. Thanks for the the support!

i feel that all of those things have been pretty well covered by others in the Mud community
We all have a pretty short attention span and without new content down here in the sty we could all quickly get addicted to funny cat videos trying to occupy our time.

So yeah go ahead and post some pictures of your 55 and help us all stay focused on the important things in life like Family, Friends, 55’s and beer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom