Builds Rub A Dub Dub, Pablo's Got A New Tub!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have this kit on a shelf….gotta install it. Thanks for the heads up of some potential issues.
I am embarrassed to say how long I had mine sitting in the back of the 40!

It really is stupid easy. Take a look at the schematic I posted above.

@FJBen mentioned some folks have issue with the high beam indicator no longer working with these kits.

I checked everything before starting the new headlight project and saw I didn't have high beam indicator anyway, so no sweat!

Then when I went driving the next morning I saw I did have high beam indicator, it was just really faint.

My only compliant - sometimes when switching on the high beams, there would be a split second where low beams cut out and you have nothing! Maybe it is my high beam switch?

Weird, I haven’t had the pause issue.

If you out a load device on the other/open light socket it will fix that headlight issue

I love that headlight kit.😘
2713FC00-FF2F-4560-A4DA-B7CE587B759F.jpeg

My 40 is smelling up the garage w/ a gas smell.

When it gets warm in the garage, the fuel tank has a positive pressure inside.

I am going to check out this thread:

I still have the original light harness in my ‘65 40, and I’ve had that delay a couple of times over the 14yrs I’ve owned it. Each time I cleaned the headlight fuse connections as well as the wire connections on the floor switch, and the delay went away. So I think it’s just a connection thing. Food for thought, maybe that’ll help. Love the WS story, you’re big time now 😂!

I still have the original light harness in my ‘65 40, and I’ve had that delay a couple of times over the 14yrs I’ve owned it. Each time I cleaned the headlight fuse connections as well as the wire connections on the floor switch, and the delay went away. So I think it’s just a connection thing. Food for thought, maybe that’ll help. Love the WS story, you’re big time now 😂!
Thanks, that makes sense, clean contacts are always a good idea!

After starting a new thread on this, in which Lionel Ritchie showed up, I decided to open up the fuel pump: Rebuild 2F Fuel Pump? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rebuild-2f-fuel-pump.1249160/

The verdict was that the pump was functional, so I buttoned it up and plan on running it.

View attachment 2652340View attachment 2652341
I don't think I ever got the pump to seal successfully. I had a chronic fuel smell in the cab when driving, and in the garage when parked.
Time to get a new fuel pump...

Last edited:
I don't think I ever got the pump to seal successfully. I had a chronic fuel smell in the cab when driving, and in the garage when parked.
Time to get a new fuel pump...

Matt hooked me up w/ new pump - so far, so good!

Closing thoughts for the morning...

There is still a random "clatter" sound when the engine is running. It is intermittent. Intermittent issues are always fun. My esteemed colleague @mcguirejohnson feels that it is valvetrain related. We set valve lash very carefully ~a month ago.

I feel like this could be valvetrain related. To me this means I either have an issue with the rockers, or the lifters, eh? A '78 would have bushings in the rockers I believe.

Redline sells replacement bushings for rockers - these look nice: F/2F Engine Rocker Arm Bushings - Red Line Land Cruisers - https://redlinelandcruisers.com/shop/engine/top-end/f-2f-engine-rocker-arm-bushings/

I also saw these comments from @FJ40Jim :

Yes, they can be interchanged. No difference in rocker ratio. The only catch is the pushrods change, because the adjuster "ball" gets smaller and the pushrods cup gets smaller in 198x?.

Pic shows 1976 rocker & pushrod and early 80s parts.View attachment 2481111

View attachment 2673757

From here: rocker assembly questions - 2F - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rocker-assembly-questions-2f.1230646/

I got a different set of ears on this noise that has been bugging me.
They describe the noise as less than a knock, but feel it is worth pulling the lifters and see how they look.
That should be after the cold weather and holidays...

Some reading on 2F cams:

Delta seems to come up quite often: DeltaCam.com - https://deltacam.com/

And this compare of 2F and 3FE cams is informative:

cam-timing-jpg.60101

Last edited:
Wow, hard to believe it has been 7 years since I picked the 40 up from paint!

But then when I realize how much this guy has grown, it all makes sense.

I sure don't feel 7 years older!!!

6-4-16 093.jpg

I got a different set of ears on this noise that has been bugging me.
They describe the noise as less than a knock, but feel it is worth pulling the lifters and see how they look.
That should be after the cold weather and holidays...
I wanted to send a cam out to Delta and have it back before pulling my lifters and taking a look.
@Pigeaten was kind enough to hook me up w/ what looks like an original 2F cam:

IMG_3734.JPG

IMG_3727.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG
IMG_3730.JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

Camshaft looks nice. I don't understand delta recommending a camshaft profile because of elevation. That seems unusual to me, but maybe they know something I don't.
Well I think it’s all related to how much air you can move through those cylinders.
Higher altitude means less oxygen, so my guess is that the duration and overlap of the stock grind is going to be best for combustion and power at my altitude?

Well I think it’s all related to how much air you can move through those cylinders.
Higher altitude means less oxygen, so my guess is that the duration and overlap of the stock grind is going to be best for combustion and power at my altitude?
Ive heard similar takes but i kind of think its a myth. As far as I know the power curve of a camshaft is the same no matter the air. So if you take a certain cam and run it at 10k feet, it will have the same curve as at sea level. The only difference being the entire curve will be 20% higher on the dyno graph at sea level. The reason I say that is of the youtube videos I've seen on naturally aspirated dyno runs vs forced induction runs. The forced induction just raises that same cam power curve. The curve stays the same if boost is constant through the rpm range if i recall. But a performance cam can only reach its potential power curve if you can accurately control the ignition timing to suit the cam. Sniper allows that if you have the distributor for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom