Builds Rub A Dub Dub, Pablo's Got A New Tub!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jinkees! It has been a while since I posted in here!

One of the DD went down, so I have been spending lots of time trying to bring that car back online.

E46 (BMW), once the vacuum lines under the intake get old and crack, your options are to pull the intake.

Might as well replace everything under there while you have it off...

IMG_7962.JPG

Jinkees! It has been a while since I posted in here!

One of the DD went down, so I have been spending lots of time trying to bring that car back online.

E46 (BMW), once the vacuum lines under the intake get old and crack, your options are to pull the intake.

Might as well replace everything under there while you have it off...

View attachment 2352089

Got the DD back together - looks like a car now! Another straight-6:
IMG_8160.JPG

Some props to @mcguirejohnson...

I have not driven the 40 much b/c there is an exhaust leak up in the engine compartment.

I thought the leak was coming from the junction between the intake and exhaust manifolds. So I had been pro-crast-ee-nating the repair as I was just not up for pulling the manifolds.

A week ago I was up checking on the @Laughingjackal project 60 and @mcguirejohnson said I should really check the flange where the EGR plumbs into the exhaust manifold. In his experience they can leak there. Sounds good to me! Easier than pulling the manifolds. So I set out to check this flange:

IMG_8984.JPG

I started soaking the threads w/ Kroil and then I looked at the exhaust pipe connection to the exhaust manifold.

The inboard nut looked loose - really?!?

So I Kroiled those and went to get a deep 14mm socket. That inboard nut was so loose I could tighten with just my grip on the socket.

I have not had a chance to see if that solved my leak, but it could not have been helping!

Thanks @mcguirejohnson

Nice I like it when it’s simple. Bummer I don’t get to come wrench on it with you...guess I’ll have to settle for just coming over and driving the cruisers around. ;)

Nice I like it when it’s simple. Bummer I don’t get to come wrench on it with you...guess I’ll have to settle for just coming over and driving the cruisers around. ;)

Let's try that!
I am sure we will find other things to fix...

TJ - those EGR flanges often warp and the gasket blows out. I have plugged most of mine with a steel slug welded inside the manifold (could be drilled out later if desired) as they are impossible to keep sealed. The size of that flange and gasket changed a few times through the years as Toyota tried to get it right (and never did).

To me, they are a chronic weak spot on 2F manifolds. I highly doubt you'll get away with tightening the nut, but go for it and see if you get lucky. If you drop in a slug and weld it, you can reattach the EGR tube on the studs to give it the 'look and feel' of being emission compliant.

TJ - those EGR flanges often warp and the gasket blows out. I have plugged most of mine with a steel slug welded inside the manifold (could be drilled out later if desired) as they are impossible to keep sealed. The size of that flange and gasket changed a few times through the years as Toyota tried to get it right (and never did).

To me, they are a chronic weak spot on 2F manifolds. I highly doubt you'll get away with tightening the nut, but go for it and see if you get lucky. If you drop in a slug and weld it, you can reattach the EGR tube on the studs to give it the 'look and feel' of being emission compliant.

Is there an expansion plug that can just be pounded into that hole under the EGR flange?

I was also wondering about the 3FE exhaust manifolds. It looks possible to install those and keep the factory intake.
Not sure about mating the EGR from 3FE exhaust mani to the 2F intake...

Is there an expansion plug that can just be pounded into that hole under the EGR flange?

Possibly, but that part of your manifold will fill with condensate and carbon, and a steel plug might well rust out over time. A brass/bronze expansion plug might work better. You would have to measure the passage and see what the ID is and see what OD plugs are available that would have the correct interference fit.

Freshly updated - ask and ye shall receive: 3FE exhaust on 2F head

That's the money shot I've been waiting for!

But TJ you gotta replace those tires! How old are they anyway?
Those tires are indeed old!

I know I got them before my boy was born - he is 14 now.

Time to do some studying - BFG AT? BFG MT?
I know @FJBen is big on the Yokohama MTs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom