RTV overload? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased an FJ62 and as I dig into it further, I am noticing a few things which give me pause. One of these are is the transfer case. This wasn't something which I caught when I originally bought it, so that's on me. As I see the amount of RTV squeezed outside the case, I'm worried about how much may be inside the case. I already changed the oil and didn't find any pieces of RTV to be concerned with but it would've likely been broken down to not see any chunks.

Any way, should I be concerned with this amount RTV on top of the gaskets?

IMG_8083.JPG

IMG_8082.JPG

I feel I would be less worried about the amount of RTV floating around inside the transfer case and a lot more worried about why someone needed to use that much RTV to begin with. Are they trying to plug a crack? missing a seal? etc.

It's odd, but I guess I would run it with clean, full oil in the xfer case and not worry about it.

Welcome to the most awesome website for Land Cruisers! Perhaps you could xacto knife away the excess RTV and see if any leak trails begin?
Probably just fine as is.

Could be worse and covered in gear oil. At least shows its been serviced.

I have never understood why folks feel the need to slather RTV over everything, but they do. But I'll agree with the others.....prolly fine.

Good God, you should see mine. Just rebuilt both transfer case and 4 speed transmission. Only the RTV good out on my truck is reddish. Your transfer case looks pretty clean otherwise.

much appreciate the feedback!
I have a few other things which I am working through to get the truck in tip top shape. I'll share that in another post.

I might even find the original owner of this TLC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom