Extended or Standard

• Extended

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Standard

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious as to what people chose if they had the option of the two. And why?

I'm in the market for a RTT and each one I'm considering have extended and standard versions and can't decide which I prefer.

We have the extended CVT Shasta. I'm in Oregon and I've been to NZ so we can agree we've experienced rain before. I only have experience with the CVT brand. Their extended is nice because the ladder is covered, even when you aren't using the annex. When you use the annex, the ladder is covered and concealed. Perfect for a pregnant spouse using the bucket multiple time a night.
If you didn't have the extended, the access door is on the edge, so once you begin to exit the sleep area, you are exposed.
Hope that helps. I checked and don't have any good pics.

Extended has privacy plus put a little buddy heater in the bottom for a nice toasty upper tent.

On the other end of this I prefer being able to see out from all sides. Also nice to have a breeze when the temps are up at night. No experience with the extended version personally.

I have the extended (covered ladder). Main reason for getting it is because of the larger annex area, which give me the option of additional sleeping quarters downstairs when my kids are bigger. The annex area on the regular versions are only large enough to use as a changing room or sitting area. It takes a while to setup the annex however, so I've never bothered setting it up on a trip.

The extended overhang does add some additional time to setup, I'd say about an extra minute to setup and maybe two to take down because there's some extra fabric to deal with. Unfortunately because of the way it's designed you always need to set it up regardless if you want it or not. I imagine in high winds the extended overhang would catch more wind, but I've used mine in moderately windy conditions without a problem.

Since the door opening is always covered, it provides more privacy inside the tent and make the entrance area darker. That can be good or bad depending on what you like. At night I either hang a lantern or hook up some LED lights to illuminate it. Since the joint is hinged you can pull that extension up against the tent so it almost disappears, which is what I do during in the daytime when if I want more ventilation or sunlight.

Pros:
Larger annex area
Covered entrance and ladder if raining
Larger shaded area under the tent for cooking or whatever. Almost acts like an awning
More privacy

Cons:
Longer setup time
Entrance way is really dark at night
Extra fabric when folded means it's a little tighter to close when you have a lot of stuff in the tent.
Might cause trouble in high winds

I have the extended (covered ladder). Main reason for getting it is because of the larger annex area, which give me the option of additional sleeping quarters downstairs when my kids are bigger. The annex area on the regular versions are only large enough to use as a changing room or sitting area. It takes a while to setup the annex however, so I've never bothered setting it up on a trip.

The extended overhang does add some additional time to setup, I'd say about an extra minute to setup and maybe two to take down because there's some extra fabric to deal with. Unfortunately because of the way it's designed you always need to set it up regardless if you want it or not. I imagine in high winds the extended overhang would catch more wind, but I've used mine in moderately windy conditions without a problem.

Since the door opening is always covered, it provides more privacy inside the tent and make the entrance area darker. That can be good or bad depending on what you like. At night I either hang a lantern or hook up some LED lights to illuminate it. Since the joint is hinged you can pull that extension up against the tent so it almost disappears, which is what I do during in the daytime when if I want more ventilation or sunlight.

Pros:
Larger annex area
Covered entrance and ladder if raining
Larger shaded area under the tent for cooking or whatever. Almost acts like an awning
More privacy

Cons:
Longer setup time
Entrance way is really dark at night
Extra fabric when folded means it's a little tighter to close when you have a lot of stuff in the tent.
Might cause trouble in high winds

I have extened and pretty much agree with above. not much more to add. Some times I don't feel like I need it, other times it is nice.

I have the ARB Simpson III which I believe would be considered extended, and the covered entryway is quite nice in the rain. I have never used the annex camping because setting it up always seems like more effort than it's worth by the time I get there. Living where it rains not infrequently, I would say it's worth it, but if I were in the American Southwest or something where it is hot and dry I would probably say the better views and breeze from the regular version would be more worthwhile.

Extended all the way!! I had a Tepui Kukanum and traded it in on a CVT Shasta extended. The Extended covers the ladder plus most of them come with an annex that creates a nice second shelter/tent/private area.

depends on how tall you are (?)… i'm short, 5'6''. I have the standard smittybilt rtt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom