RTOM 1983 Toyota SR5 Mojave Ltd. Ed.-Black Package 4x4 Sport Truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ROTM 1983 Toyota SR5 Mojave Ltd. Ed.-Black Package 4x4 Sport Truck

I purchased the truck new from Englander Toyota, Orlando, FL. in spring of 1983 and took delivery of the truck in June of 1983. The truck was special ordered from Japan by the owner of Englander Toyota for me as only certain dealers were permitted to obtain one of these truck packages. According to Toyota Japan, there were less then 100 of these truck packages built and were used to promote Toyota's / TRD's new off-road racing program. They were a TRD specified product.

The truck had all the of "Black Package" options such as chromed grill, headlight doors, front bumper with no black rubber ends, cab vents, drip rail moldings, rear oval tube bumper,etc.

The Mojave Ltd. Ed. Package included chromed outside mirrors, no cargo bed hooks, chromed tailight housings, single handle tail gate with no name on the tail gate, chromed transmission and transfer case shifters, gray dash fascia, moon roof, A/C, power steering, tilt wheel, intermitent wipers, vent windows, reclining bucket seats and the door panels were single color black. The dash had defrost vents, Digital radio with separate tape deck, side windows were dark tinted and the cab had plush full black carpeting installed. There was no cruise contol available. Note: about 3,500 2 Wheel Drive Mojave Ltd. Ed. trucks were produced for sale in the USA and a 4x4 Mojave package was sold in Canada (quantity unknown or whether they were factory built)

There were no graphics on the truck except for a dual pinstripe running from the upper portion of the front fenders, along the upper portion of the cab / doors then down along the upper side of the cargo bed. In addition, there were no cargo bed side panels with seams; The bed sides were all one piece.

The truck was completely torn down to the bare frame. The frame was boxed and reinforced then powdercoated. The F/R axles were replaced with forged units, gear type positraction units were installed along with 4:88 ring and pinion sets. Vented disc brakes were installed front and rear along with a new HD master cylinder. The 3" lift F/R springs were custom made by Downey along with urethane greasable bushings, hanger pins, etc. F/R Axle housing trusses / skid plates were made by Cal Wells. Dual F/ R shock mounts were made by Downey. Front HD tie rod was supplied by Nortwest Off-Road. Rancho supplied the steering link, torque rod, steering stabilizer and shocks. The traction shock kit was supplied by Downey with Rancho units. The fuel tank is a custom built 26 Gallon stainless steel unit with a built in 3/8" ss skid plate. All brake lines are SS / teflon braided hose.

The radiator is a four core with modified Toyota Shroud and a Ford 2 speed electric fan with auto / manual and Hi / Lo speed contol systems utilized. The engine is a stage 5 Pro off-road stroker motor with modified Weber DCOE 45 side draft carbs built by L C Engineering. Nitrous with an adjustable control system is used. The fuel pump is by Mallory with 2 return type regulators used. The ignition system is L C engineering / Crane and Taylor wires. The transmission is a close ratio type and the transfer case is an extreme HD both by TRD Japan. System 1 fuel and oil filters are used along with Earls coolers and hoses. The F/ R differentials, transmission and tranfer case are vented through SS braided lines and K&N filters.

The interior has Recaro KRXT seats, Kenwood Stereo system with 4 channel amp and 10 disc changer, 6 point safety harnesses, Custom built console / cup holder, chromed fire extinguisher, Personal steering wheel, billet window cranks, VDO gauges, Speck gauges with wideband air fuel ratio controller, custom billet grab handles and rear view mirror.

The rear pan is a custom rolled steel unit and the stock hood is louvered. The F/R bumpers, bed roll cage (tied into frame) and bed mounted tire mount were done by Downey. Side bars are by Smitty Built. All body components / sheet metal were taken down to bare metal, prepped, epoxy primed and painted with Teflon based paint by Sikkens of Germany. The color is "Wild Strawberry" Pearl Metallic and the truck was painted in 1990. All body / cargo bed mounting bushings are urethane.

Cibie "Z" beam headlights, rear rollbar lights and backup lights are used. 6" KC Daylighter front rollbar lights, front long range and fog lights are used. Enkie 30 Series Wheels with either 31" or 33" Dick Cepek Fun Country II tires are used. The truck has 154,000 miles.

Last edited:
All this is worthless info without pics to prove it.

I have to contact Pappy so I can upload my photos-it says alocation for photos exceeded

Until I can find out how to upload my photos onto this site, you can go to the Truck Show Nation WEB site (Don Noll-My Toy Album), the Yota Tech WEB site (member's albums-suncomb1) or Toyota Truck World WEB site under New Photo Galleries - suncomb1 to view photos of my truck. Sorry for the problem.

Last edited:
It makes them huge, but if you are running google chrome as your browser (best IMO), right click and select 'open image in new tab' then take the .jpg file out of the address. get the .jpg url and use
brackets to code it in.
like so,

url]

ToyotaTruckInteriorView8a.jpg

Its soooo shiny and new looking! purty!

I have always taken care of it but I tore the truck completely down in 1990. Other then the L C Engineering 22R Stage 5 Pro Stroker off-road racing motor, Nitrous system, Speck gauges with wideband air-fuel ratio control and new Rancho 9000 series shocks, the truck is just as it was finished in 1990. The old motor was a fully modified 18RG TRD prepared racing motor with twin Mikuni carbs.

In the mid 1980's the truck was raced in sand drags and mud boggs throughout the southeast and some off-road events out west. The truck was campaigned for 4 years to promote my business and did extremely well during its racing period often beating larger trucks. When I rebuilt the truck / finished the truck in 1990 I wanted to maintain the original factory lines and look as much as possible but still have it look unique. In 2008 the truck was on special display at the Carlisle All Truck Nationals when Ivan Stewart was the guest celebrity. It was good to spend time with him again after all these years and we talked about the truck (he could not believe I still had it) - (this model series was the first model he raced in for Toyota) and about old friends.

Photo of us together at Carlisle (Truck Show Nation WEB site-Don Noll-Album My Toy). We both agree, getting old ain't for sissys.

Use the link below that 2ndGenToyotaFan installed to view photos.

I have finally uploaded photos of my truck on this WEB site-suncomb1-MY TOY Album. Sorry for the delay and I hope you all enjoy them and maybe use some of the ideas I have used on my truck.

My first rig was a 1983 long box, like those rigs alot....

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom