RTH with Ironman adjustable caster bushing install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this is a simple job but those are always the ones that stump me. I have both arms out. I remove one set of old bushings from one arm. I made a a template of JUST THE TWO HOLES from the arm that is still OEM bushings. I can get the Ironman bushing oriented in the right basic area with the holes the right distance apart for 2.5 degree correction. But when i look at it the look a little different than the directions The both look a little forward with would "lengthen" the arm some over stock. When i look at the Iron man diagram the arm in the picture is shaped slightly differently than the Toyota arm. So how do i know exactly where to install the bushings? I just dont get what i am using as a reference point on the arm.

Edit: Let me try to explain my confusion. I kow the two holes should be 185mm apart. I am goo with that. But lets just call the correct placement of the two bushings "12 o clock". that would obviously be one hole 'up and one hole down. But lets just call them both 12 o clock. I can get them both oriented to "look" like the diagram. But i just dont know how to make sure they are both dead on at 12 o clock. I figure if i had them both rotated clock ways a small amount say at 1 o clock both holes would still be at 185mm apart. Or if i had them both rotated a small amount counter clock ways say 11 o clock the holes would still be 185mm apart. With out some type of solid indexing mark i can get them close but how do i get them exact? Or does it really matter?

What i did was i made a jig. I drilled three holes in a board and using the one with factory bushings and slid the bolts through. I got the two new bushings oriented as close as i can and used the two front holes of the jig to make sure they are 185mm apart. Then with the two ironman bushings installed the rear of the arm is now about 3" 'higher" on the board. I drilled anew hole for that. I will use the jig to make sure the other arm matches. That way both arms should at least have the bushings all in the same orientation. Does this sound like a good approach?

Last edited:
I'm about to install a set this week. I've already put in the Foam Cell Pro shocks and steering damper. I'm planning on doing the 50mm constant load springs and adjustable caster correction bushings on Thursday.
Any advice on install?
Should I go 2.5* or 3.5*?
How were your results? Happy?

thanks

I'm about to install a set this week. I've already put in the Foam Cell Pro shocks and steering damper. I'm planning on doing the 50mm constant load springs and adjustable caster correction bushings on Thursday.
Any advice on install?
Should I go 2.5* or 3.5*?
How were your results? Happy?

thanks
2.5* for a 2-3" lift bud.

Do just one bushing at a time!!! Don't take both out at once. There are all sorts of methods for doing this. Using the 2nd complete control arm with the bolts that go thru it is a perfect template to get the spacing right too.

I have a 50 ton shop press at my disposal. Also, a saw. I think I should be able to get the old ones out.
I was planning on using a socket to push the old ones out/new ones in. Think that'll work?
I saw that diagram - I plan on printing it if it's not included. I'm going to Metal-tech tomorrow to pick everything up.

Why don't you go have the alignment done and find out what you really need, then install the bushings? That is what I am going to do when my suspension shows up. Good luck

Why don't you go have the alignment done and find out what you really need, then install the bushings? That is what I am going to do when my suspension shows up. Good luck
Money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom