RTH.....what do you guys think it is? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That pictured drive flange looks stripped
Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 5.21.02 PM.png

Are those the original CVs?

That pictured drive flange looks stripped
View attachment 2411555

I can remove them (clips) and see....but shouldn't I leave them in place for the 'put in gear' test? I'm thinking I should be able to see the axle shaft spin inside the drive flange if indeed they are shot.

In which case I'll just speed up my planned front end work, I have all the parts on hand, been getting ready to freshen up the front end anyway. Have had no problems with anything prior to this and I'll be replacing some parts that are probably still serviceable, but I just want to go through the entire front end and be done with it. I DO need to replace my steering rack....and figured since I am in there.

If diff lock is not engaged, would torque be trying to take the past of least resistance in the front and spinning the spline on the wheel where it can break loose?

If diff lock is not engaged, would torque be trying to take the past of least resistance in the front and spinning the spline on the wheel where it can break loose?

That is my theory (and hope). Thinking it also might be why the vehicle can roll back while in Park.

Draw a line with a paint marker on both hub flanges/axles.

Did that already with a paint pen, had the same idea, but still going to wait until I can watch it to get an idea of how much and how fast it might be spinning. 'Any' is too much, but I'm curious. Hopefully that will be the problem, fairly easy fix and already have all the parts.

Last edited:
LOL damn that thing is stripped to hell, glad it's nothing serious. Probably need a new CV axle as well.

LOL damn that thing is stripped to hell, glad it's nothing serious. Probably need a new CV axle as well.

CV is probably gone too. Will know this weekend. Have all the new parts sitting in my shop already. Been planning on a complete front end 'freshening' just would have preferred to wait on cooler weather.

Just have to open a few cold Cervezas. We have the technology. ;)

Dos Equis XX.jpg
Option2.jpg

Pulled the Driver's side Drive Flange this a.m. but only after grinding the end of the CV axle a bit.

Seems the 'wear' on the unit had formed a lip on the outermost splines (outboard of the C-Clip) and the raised portion would not allow me to remove the D/F.

I had not considered this before and will now add a good Mill File to the tools I normally I carry in the vehicle. NO WAY you were going to get this thing off (on the roadside or on the trail) the way it was...unless you first removed some material.

DF1 (2).jpg

DF2 (2).jpg

Even after that....I still had to use a Cold Chisel to wedge the Drive Flange off.

DF3 (2).jpg

The splines on the CV (amazingly) still looked pretty good, but the axle will never reliably hold a C-Clip now, so out it comes.

DF4.jpg

Wow I have never seen a drive flange stripped that bad, that’s incredible. Glad you’re equipped and capable to repair it yourself. That would be several thousand $$$ at a dealer. Hey if you have access to a CNC get those flanges milled so you’ll have a trail fix for a broken front diff

Wow I have never seen a drive flange stripped that bad, that’s incredible. Glad you’re equipped and capable to repair it yourself. That would be several thousand $$$ at a dealer. Hey if you have access to a CNC get those flanges milled so you’ll have a trail fix for a broken front diff

Yes, I'll bore the old flanges out for just that reason.

Odd that it would strip so badly, I agree. Also NO indication previous to the incident that anything was wrong.

The flange already seems to be bored out 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom