RTH - Vibration developed on road trip. Currently Miami (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I drove down to Miami cause sister is giving birth but on the way this vibration started happening. It happens only at certain speeds and under load. Its definitely seems to be getting worse. I was hopeful with the tire balance and had them rebalanced and still same thing. Checked the motor mounts and they are good.

Im assuming driveshaft or birfs. Is there anyone down here with parts for this thing. Its a 1990 HDJ81 but the running gear is the same as the US models. I have tools but not those spares..

Thanks!!!!!

Reactions: RFB
im looking now for you brother

You are going to do a knuckle job without checking driveshaft/u-joints first? That sounds like a bad idea. Unless I misunderstood your definition of "tearing into it."
First I’ll remove the driveshaft and lock the center. If that works then great. If not then I’ll tear into it

From description, u-joint would definitely be my first stop

In addition to adding the grease to the knuckle cavity, you may try to just pump the u-joints with some grease if you haven't in a while. If that fixes or gives some relief, you've found your problem.

I would recommend doing both while you are at it. There is a great guy in Norcross that did mine (Highly recommend balancing). I have the rear set I won't need now so you are welcome to it. Probably feels like a new truck. Sure did when I rebuilt mine.

I would recommend doing both while you are at it. There is a great guy in Norcross that did mine (Highly recommend balancing). I have the rear set I won't need now so you are welcome to it. Probably feels like a new truck. Sure did when I rebuilt mine.
Ill be honest man, when I took out the front driveshaft, the cruiser felt so good on the highway. I guess its time for the part time 4wd kit.

Ill be honest man, when I took out the front driveshaft, the cruiser felt so good on the highway. I guess its time for the part time 4wd kit.

I am thinking about a part time kit....what was it that you liked so much about driving it on the highway. I've heard some love the way the cruiser drives with a part time kit and I have heard some don't like it at all and that it doesn't handle as well. Care to share more of your experience?

I am thinking about a part time kit....what was it that you liked so much about driving it on the highway. I've heard some love the way the cruiser drives with a part time kit and I have heard some don't like it at all and that it doesn't handle as well. Care to share more of your experience?
There are probably a whole lot of factors that went into me liking it so much. My guess is that my ujoints were never that great when I got the vehicle. After switching out the ujoints in the rear and removing the front driveshaft it felt so smooth and effortless for the cruiser to get up to speed on the highway. It just all felt like its supposed to be. But do take that with a grain of salt because of the condition my drive terrain was in prior to it breaking down. I have since reinstalled everything and it still all feels great. There are a lot of things I want to do to the cruiser and somewhere down the line a part time kit will be installed but that is not a priority for me right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom