RTH Transfer Case Regear--input shaft stuck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, hoping for some advice here.
@OTRAMM makes this part look extremely easy.

However, I can't get the input shaft off out of the housing. The FSM also seems to suggest this part should be fairly straight forward.

1590341634453.png

I got the snap ring out (the large one)
1590341701484.png

But I can't get this race to fit back through the opening like it does in the OTRAMM video. I tried tapping it in lightly w/ a brass hammer but it really doesn't seem to want to fit through. Any ideas?
1590341851785.png

thanks!

It should fit through there easily. I would recommend cleaning the race and the machined surface of the rear housing with some brake cleaner and trying again. I assume it is getting stuck on the trail edge of the bearing snap ring lip? If cleaning both surfaces doesn't work I would check for some burrs on the lip or the machined seat on the housing.

Hmm, tried that and I do see a few burrs on the machined surface but it is honestly so tight it feels like a race you would press in. ??

I threw my micrometer on it and got the race at 85.02mm and the machined surface at 84.8--don't think they are the most accurate of measurements but the two certainly don't seem to want to slip past each other.

Let me know if you have any other ideas? Otherwise thinking about going ahead and pressing the gear off "through" the housing as at that point I can slip it off, but not sure if I'm missing a larger problem that will bite me later.

You could pull the bearing off the input shaft with a bearing splitter (flat side) and either press it (may be too tight for a press) or use a puller. Be sure to pull off that snap ring first. I used a large bearing splitter from HF to do my transfer rebuild. I have a different input shaft from what you have but the bearings are the same.

IMG_5379.JPG

Got it! I pulled the inner snap ring and for some reason that gave it the play it needed to come out. ??

1590349124075.png

thanks for the advice.

Got it! I pulled the inner snap ring and for some reason that gave it the play it needed to come out. ??

View attachment 2317548

thanks for the advice.
Hey, just wondering how you feel about the TC regear after putting some miles on it. I'm running 33's and I'm thinking about the TC regear too. Do you think it's reasonable to do as a DIY, and are you happy with the results? Thanks.

Hey there. It was a bit of big project for me, but I'm happy to have done it, and by being reasonably careful with it I had a lot of fun learning how transfer cases work. I think if you're comfortable rebuilding the front axles you can probably tackle this. Getting the case out and back in is a bit of a project, so I'd recommend a buddy or a tranny jack or ideally both.

I'm quite happy with the regear. The low range is a huge difference offroad. The underdrive makes pushing 35s manageable--if you are *very* sensitive to noise and daily the truck I might save up and do a diff regear instead for 33s, but if the difference between $600 and ~$2500 matters (as it did to me), than I'd say go TC regear.

HTH.

Hey there. It was a bit of big project for me, but I'm happy to have done it, and by being reasonably careful with it I had a lot of fun learning how transfer cases work. I think if you're comfortable rebuilding the front axles you can probably tackle this. Getting the case out and back in is a bit of a project, so I'd recommend a buddy or a tranny jack or ideally both.

I'm quite happy with the regear. The low range is a huge difference offroad. The underdrive makes pushing 35s manageable--if you are *very* sensitive to noise and daily the truck I might save up and do a diff regear instead for 33s, but if the difference between $600 and ~$2500 matters (as it did to me), than I'd say go TC regear.

HTH.
Ok great. Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the money difference is meaningful to me, and I did the front axle service on my rig without too much trouble. I'm staying with 33's, and I think the TC regear is a good project for me. I don't DD my truck, I mostly ride my bicycle around town and to work.
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom