RTH...Toyota FIPG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hankinid

SILVER Star
Threads
Had a small drip from the water intake housing on my LX.

Found the o-ring at local dealer but no Toyota fipg (08826-00100), also no source up here I could find for the equivalent Threebond 1282B.

I'm leaving tomorrow at 4am for a trip from Boise to the SFO area and would prefer to fix the leak...though the coolant has dried to a small read mark below the passenger side of the housing and coolant has not dropped a bit over the last 3 weeks since I noticed the dried coolant.

So...2 questions.

1. Has anyone used an alternate sealant with good results? I have Permatex Ultra Gray, Ultra Blue, Ultra Black, and copper RTV's in the shop. Thinking of using Ultra Gray as past experience with it has been outstanding.

2. Given no leakage at this time, should I fix it to begin with...past experience w/ aircraft says yes, but having cleaned the dried coolant and seen no further issues I'm inclined to leave it until I return in a week and repair with the Toyota fipg.

Total trip should run around 1500 miles, with about 2/3 of that hauling tail across Nevada.

Thanks much in advance.

Steve

Last edited:
Is your water pump going out or just leaking around a seal? As long as your pump bearings are not going out which would require an whole new H2O pump, than just take lots of water with you on your trip. Never know when that leak might turn a little bigger when running at temp for a long time.
You can try to seal it up, but depends on whether you can pull the entire part that needs sealing to do it right or not.
Good luck on your trip! Take tools and water and you should be fine.

Is your water pump going out or just leaking around a seal? As long as your pump bearings are not going out which would require an whole new H2O pump, than just take lots of water with you on your trip. Never know when that leak might turn a little bigger when running at temp for a long time.
You can try to seal it up, but depends on whether you can pull the entire part that needs sealing to do it right or not.
Good luck on your trip! Take tools and water and you should be fine.
12guns, thanks for the reply.

It's not the water pump...pulled the serp belt, bearing feel smooth and the pump was done when the timing belt was done 2 years ago (about 40K miles since then)...pump was Toyota oem. Leak appears to be from the water intake housing but the drip is just below that centered between the oring and fipg gasket material on the rectangular opening...I'll bring tools to pull the housing, the o-ring, and the grey Permatex. Plus plenty of h20.

Thanks again.;)

Steve

Either Ultra Black or Ultra Grey will work just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom