RTH: Timing belt idler Allen bolt will not tighten (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am replacing the timing belt on my truck and now it’s time to tighten things up. I am trying to tighten the the Allen head bolt on the belt idler and it wants to tighten but just spinned as if threads were stripped, I backed out the bolt and it looks like whoever did the first timing belt used a helicoil insert on this. Truck has 202K miles so I assume using another helicoil will not affect the integrity or loosen up over time? Helicoil broke into pieces after bolt was out.

88254D67-0512-42E1-B2D5-A649678D09EF.jpeg

E48232DA-3513-479F-940F-405E5F11D897.jpeg

I wouldn't feel too good about having a Heli-Coil installed in such a critical area (tensioner). I'd be fine with a 'Time-Sert' though.

Thanks @flintknapper , looks like these are just available online according to my google search?

Thanks @flintknapper , looks like these are just available online according to my google search?

Right. You'll only need a kit specific to the thread size and pitch of that bolt. Probably run you about $110.00 or so but will make a solid fix.

Remember to use a thread sealant on the allen head threads. This bolt penetrates the oil pump housing. Failure to seal threads, and it will leak oil.

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing this out @2001LC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom