RTH Seattle battery / idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Land cruiser, 97. Two batteries. Stored in Seattle since July. Went to start it today, dead battery. Got a jump and it started. Let it sit for a minute or a two, put it in drive and it died. Jumped again, noticed very low idle. Disconnected jumpers put it in drive and it stalled. Did this a 4th time same thing. TPS? One battery shows full charge the other battery shows deader than dead.

I have a blue sea systems battery isolator Indian wondering if that may be part of the issue?

Thoughts?

I would disconect the extra batt and hardware, jump start the car (unless it starts on its own) and check voltages...once that is sorted, then switch it off and check if drawing current (short)

Let me do that next, thanks

Remember after disconnected, it will take 3 start cycles for the computer to re-learn how to run the fuel injection. So I would start it, and turn it off, Start again, turn it off. The third time start and drive, with one brief segment over 55 mph. That teaches it how to run and idle properly. Do you have any codes?

Make sure your starting battery is good, and do not try and charge the dead battery with the alternator. Charge it overnight on a smart charger and then see how it goes.

My guess is your starting battery has an internal short and is a goner. A good battery will likely solve your issue.

Remember after disconnected, it will take 3 start cycles for the computer to re-learn how to run the fuel injection. So I would start it, and turn it off, Start again, turn it off. The third time start and drive, with one brief segment over 55 mph. That teaches it how to run and idle properly. Do you have any codes?

Make sure your starting battery is good, and do not try and charge the dead battery with the alternator. Charge it overnight on a smart charger and then see how it goes.

My guess is your starting battery has an internal short and is a goner. A good battery will likely solve your issue.
^^agree. Sounds like a dead cell.

Did you test the one that "shows a full charge" with a load tester or did you just check voltage?

So, I got it working. The main battery was completely dead. I determined that by placing jumper cables on the spare battery. Everything worked fine. I put in a new battery and everything is good. The old battery still shows charge so something is not right with it. Of course with a true battery tester and showed dead. Problem solved thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom