RTH: running rough—does this sound like a carb? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MScruiser

obsessive-compulsive oppositional-defiant wise-ass
Threads
Recently rebuilt 2F with DUI distributor and CityRacer carb.

Have around 20 miles on it. Was doing a shake down run, and it stalled when I came to a stop light. I immediately thought I was out of gas, and put some more gas in it. It would not start. Waited around 20-30 minutes, and finally got it to start. Was running rough and rich (lightly smoking and smelled of gas). Sounded like it was “missing” on a Cylinder.

Got home, and checked my valve clearances; they seemed in spec. Checked fuel filter (new) and it was good. I have spark at each plug. Timing is good too.

Seems to idle really rough, but in higher RPMs seems to really smooth out.

Here’s my biggest concern/question:

I disconnected the idle solenoid to ensure it was working properly (my understanding is that it should stall out when disconnected) and lo and behold the engine keeps running (which it should not).

I disconnected the solenoid from the carb, and bench tested it; it seems to work properly when it gets 12v. Just for fun, I replaced the solenoid with another one I had in my shop, and it too does not seem to have any affect on the engine when disconnected or connected.

The carb has good ground, so I know the solenoid is getting power as I also get 12v on the input wire when the ignition is on.

Anyone have any clue what might be going on?

I’m leaning toward the solenoid/carb, because my understanding is that the idle solenoid is there to prevent Engine “dieseling” when the power has been shut off. I’m wondering if it has something to do with running rough?

I’d get a handheld vacuum gauge and hook it up to the manifold. Temporarily run it into the cab so you can see what’s happening when you drive. If it dies during braking, could be a booster leak that drops vacuum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom