RTH - replacing the door out side whether stip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I am stuck.
I took the old outside whether strip off the driver side front door.
The mirror is in the way of putting the new one in.
I can't figure out how to either put the whether strip on without taking off the mirror.

I can't figure out how to take off the mirror. The little black triangle plastic on the inside that potentially hid the screws for the mirror won't come off.

Help

That little plastic triangle is a bit of a pain to get off, but it should pull straight off the door. I haven't paid much attention to my door lately, but do you really have to remove the mirror to replace the weather stripping?

I just went out and looked on my truck and there is no reason I can see to remove the mirror to replace the weatherstrip. The weatherstrip fits into a small U-shaped track on the top edge of the door. I was able to remove my weatherstrip 6-8" on either side of the mirror and reinstall it with no troubles. Can you take a picture of the problem you are having?

If you really want to remove the mirror, here are a couple pics I just took of the garnish and the door.

The door. The red grommet is where the round pin at the top of the garnish clips in.
IMG_0096.JPG

The garnish. The pin with the round head clips into the red grommet above quite snugly.
IMG_0100.JPG

Once you remove the three bolts, the plastic gasket between the mirror and the door has a small locking tab on the angled side of the triangle (hypotenuse for you math folks!) that needs to be pressed down with a screwdriver before the mirror will pop out of the door.
:cheers:

Adam, I was able to yank it out. I took exactly the same pictures that you did.
I did it without your picture and it took a lot of force to do that. Have I seen you pictures it would have been easier. Well for the next guy.

I put some silicon spray on the little plastic penis so it will go in easier. You know a little lubrication always helps.

All is back together.

PS, I can't get my pictures off my iphone, I have one picture that shows it better.

Wow, I can be a bit dense sometimes. I just realized that you were talking about replacing the quarter belt molding, which runs along the bottom of the window opening on the outside and passes underneath the mirror at the front end. That explains why the mirror had to come off. I thought you were trying to remove the big rubber weatherstripping that runs around the perimeter of the door (you can see it in my first pic along the upper edge of the door). In my defense, that is the weatherstripping; your part is called the quarter belt molding. We both learned something! :beer:

As for the iPhone pictures, I used iPhoto on my mac to import photos. Not sure what you would use on a Windows machine (if that is what you have)

:cheers:

Stupid question by weatherstripping we are talking about the plastic strip right above the door that has a channel for water drainage from the roof, correct? and if so, Where can i get the stripping to replace the existing one (mine was damaged in a hail storm, where i got stuck outside, the plasic has large cips in it)

Stupid question by weatherstripping we are talking about the plastic strip right above the door that has a channel for water drainage from the roof, correct? and if so, Where can i get the stripping to replace the existing one (mine was damaged in a hail storm, where i got stuck outside, the plasic has large cips in it)

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about - the body colored strips that run the length of the gutters (D-pillar to A-pillar), you would prolly have to go to dealer to get replacements. Those came off my rig along time ago (for good) when I damaged one. I pulled it completely off, looked at it, and walked around to the other side and pulled that side off, too. Don't know what they were for, but I don't miss them 1 bit. - My .02 YMMV

No i think i'm talking about the gutter. Its black in color. I was wondering because it seems that a lot of roof racks are mounted to those, thats why i am wondering.

Also, Tom i'll PM so i dont take over this thread, but how did you do your dual batts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom